APPCRASH ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

Can anyone solve the APPCRASH ERROR in my system.  I am scratching my head for the last few weeks to solve the problem but nothing really helps.

I had the below appcrash error saying "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working"

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    WINWORD.EXE
      Application Version:    12.0.4518.1014
      Application Timestamp:    45428028
      Fault Module Name:    WINWORD.EXE
      Fault Module Version:    12.0.4518.1014
      Fault Module Timestamp:    45428028
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000010eb
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    0a9e
      Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:    0a9e
      Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Not only with Ms Word, but I had the same problem with Excel and other Office application.  When I try to re-install Ms Office 2007, I get the following error.

"MICROSOFT SETUP BOOTSTRAPPER HAS STOPPED WORKING"

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    setup.exe_Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper
      Application Version:    12.0.4518.1014
      Application Timestamp:    454280c5
      Fault Module Name:    setup.exe
      Fault Module Version:    12.0.4518.1014
      Fault Module Timestamp:    454280c5
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000039c2
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    0a9e
      Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:    0a9e
      Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Neither I am able to open Ms Office, nor I am able to re-install it.

And this is not only the problem with MS OFFICE 2007. The same problem happens when I try to open almost all applications like Google Chrome, Real player, Ccleaner, WinRAR.

2.  Another problem is with START TASK MANAGER.  Every time, I solve this issue by disabling or notconfigured state through gpedit.msc and every time it gets disabled after startup.

3.  The same issue happens with regedit.  It is also get disabled every time I start my system.

Please Help me to get rid from all these problems.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

• Jagbehera

Well there are quite a few errors but they seems to fall into 2 categories. 

1-This code (Exception Code:    c0000005) is the reason for almost all of the app crashes.

This is called a memory exception and is usually related to a driver (can also be the memory itself) which can be identified by driver verifier (see below tests)

2-The remaining errors are HD related.  I would run CHKDSK to test

Now the tests.

1-I would run a system file check to verify the OS'

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

2-For the memory exception run memtest and driver verifier

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!! 

If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)
    Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Get it here
    Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

If a known good stick fails in one motherboard slot but not another it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition.
    Most times it will crash and it will tell you what the driver is, but sometimes it will crash and won't tell you the driver.
    Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next
    Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" 
    For Win 8 dont check Concurrency stress test, and DDI compliance checking click "Next"
    Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.

Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. 
    The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. 
    If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

3-for the HD I would run CHKDSK

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found  when chkdsk tries to repair that sector  any data available on that sector might be lost.

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
    Do this for each hard drive on your system.
    When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.
    It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:
    Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
    At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
    Double click on the Source column header.
    Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
    Copy/paste the results into your next post. 

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:37 PM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the link

http://sdrv.ms/Ho0eeK

Thanks

Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the link

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=167AB359DA77D526!165&authkey=!AKMJ9OU0MX2xPfM

Thanks

Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Jagbehera

Well there are quite a few errors but they seems to fall into 2 categories. 

1-This code (Exception Code:    c0000005) is the reason for almost all of the app crashes.

This is called a memory exception and is usually related to a driver (can also be the memory itself) which can be identified by driver verifier (see below tests)

2-The remaining errors are HD related.  I would run CHKDSK to test

Now the tests.

1-I would run a system file check to verify the OS'

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

2-For the memory exception run memtest and driver verifier

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!! 

If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)
    Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Get it here
    Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

If a known good stick fails in one motherboard slot but not another it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition.
    Most times it will crash and it will tell you what the driver is, but sometimes it will crash and won't tell you the driver.
    Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next
    Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" 
    For Win 8 dont check Concurrency stress test, and DDI compliance checking click "Next"
    Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.

Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. 
    The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. 
    If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

3-for the HD I would run CHKDSK

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found  when chkdsk tries to repair that sector  any data available on that sector might be lost.

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
    Do this for each hard drive on your system.
    When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.
    It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:
    Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
    At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
    Double click on the Source column header.
    Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
    Copy/paste the results into your next post. 

Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:37 PM