windows vista will not find my silicon image raid for complete restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had my two 320gb HDDs go bad on me and i got two new ones from the company. I went to restore the computer back to the original state i loaded the drivers and everything when i go to start the restore it comes up with there are two few or little  disks in the computer when i go to the diskpart in the command prompt it doesnt even show the raid1 HDDs i need to get the computer back up and running for work. can anyone help me with this issue
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First contact your motherboard (silicon image 3114 raid drivers) manufacturer for the further support on the subject of backup.

If you would like to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to restore the system, please follow the instructions below

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, please try restoring the system according to your requirement.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Hiei,

RAID 1 is a mirror. The two drives will be identical in all respects. The second drive will be an exact copy of the original and logically invisible to you. That is, you cannot access the second drive via the OS. Windows Vista does not have the option to create the mirrored drives itself, so I suppose that you should use the hardware Raid1 (build a mirror first and then install Vista http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista onto it). If you installed the systems as such, we would only view one hard disk in the diskpart command instead of both the original and the mirror. As for how to realize the backup feature on the computer, I suggest you looking into the Motherboard manual or contacting third-party software you are using to build the mirrored drives.

RAID 1 (mirroring) is not a backup solution. RAID 1 uses two or more drives, each a duplicate of the others, to provide redundancy, not backup. It's used in situations (almost always within corporations, not in homes) where any downtime can't be tolerated, because the way it works is that if one drive fails the other takes over seamlessly. However, if RAID 1 is corrupt or both HDDs are damaged, your data would be unreadable and unrecoverable. Therefore, I still recommend a backup to a NAS or USB drive.

Hope the above information helpful!

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:25 AM
  • no i am not having problems with the raid 1 have made a backup through windows when i had the computer in raid 1 and now i am having troubles putting the back up onto the new hdds that are made from the same company and are in raid 1 with nothing on them i am sorry if i made it sound like i was trying to use the raid 1 as a backup.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  ~Hiei~ wrote:
    no i am not having problems with the raid 1 have made a backup through windows when i had the computer in raid 1 and now i am having troubles putting the back up onto the new hdds that are made from the same company and are in raid 1 with nothing on them i am sorry if i made it sound like i was trying to use the raid 1 as a backup.

Lemme see if I understand you...

You had a computer with Windows Vista loaded on a RAID 1 Array.

It worked fine for a time.

You made a backup at some point

Something exploded, died, or terrorists came by and stole your mojo (or whatever happened that required you to replce your drives)

You bought brand new drives from the same manufacturer

You created a new RAID 1 array.

You tried loaded Vista back onto it, but it won't "recognize" your RAID 1 array.

Is that it?

If so...did you:

Creaet the new RAID 1 array to be the exact same size as before?

Change the formatting of the array (Block-size of 64 instead of 32 or some variation?)\

When intalling Vista, did you get to the point of the install where you are supposed to supply the drivers for your RAID 1 array? (Vista has "some" RAID drivers, but not "all" RAID drivers so you may have to load the RAID array drivers at this point)

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  

Yeah that is right and i have loaded the silicon image 3114 raid drivers that came with the motherboard. windows is telling me that the raid drivers dont contain any information about my hardware. but if i load different silicon image drivers the 3132 drivers it loads them but the 3132 drivers are on one of my other computer. when i go to load the back up it says "windows can restore using this backup. you need to run the right architecture version (x64) of the windows recovery enviroment (winre)."

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

First contact your motherboard (silicon image 3114 raid drivers) manufacturer for the further support on the subject of backup.

If you would like to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to restore the system, please follow the instructions below

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, please try restoring the system according to your requirement.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:45 AM
  • hey i will talk to the motherboard company. when i was getting the error it was in the windows recovery enviroment it was saying the architecture was wrong but its the same disk windows i installed on the computer
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:40 AM