none
Pending Submit Issue - Need Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MSPS'ers!  

Need help with a Pending Submit Issue.    I have many resource timesheets that are in the Pending Submit status due to individual tasks not being approved.    Checklist is as follows:

• Status Manager:  PM left the company and I changed the status manager to me and successfully published the schedule (I currently have no open approvals)
    • Ran a Pivot Table report to confirm that I am the approver of the tasks in Pending Submit status....
    • Checked the Publish column to make certain it was set to Yes for all tasks in pending submit status
    • No Errors when Publishing the schedule.

Short of asking these MANY resources to recall and resubmit their timesheet - what other troubleshooting steps can I take to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

~Randy Knight

Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy,

The "submit pending" status  means that the timesheet submission by the team members has not been proceed correctly. Thus you cannot approve those timesheet and publishing the project will not change anything. I'm afraid that you have to ask the team members to recall and submit again their timesheets. If you do not want to bother the team members, you cannot do it yourself through a delegation session. I'd advice to check for any error messages while submitting again the timesheets in the PWA queue and/or ULS logs.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Randy,

Technically, when all the tasks are approved, the timesheet should automatically be submitted to the Timesheet Manager for approval.

The key factor is that ALL tasks on the timesheet need to be approved (not just the ones where PM has left). Are you sure that other PMs/Status managers have approved their project tasks?

I would suggest, pick one timehseet, go through all the projects and make sure all tasks are approved for each project and see if it works. I do not think you will need to ask for a recall and resubmit.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, February 20, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Thank you Prasanna -  As mentioned in the post, the line items that are in pending status are assigned to me as the Status Manager and I have no outstanding timesheets to approve.    This was determined using a Pivot Table in the Business Intelligence section of PWA. 
    Friday, February 20, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Guillaume,   

I believe Pending Submit is a background status that simply means one or more tasks within the timesheet  have not been approved by the status manager - so the Timesheet cannot be submitted to the Timesheet Manager - leaving it in Pending Submit Status..

In the past  - all pending submit status issues were automatically resolved when all tasks within the timesheet were approved.   In this case however, using a pivot table within the OLAP cube it was determined that I am the status manager of these tasks in "Pending Submit" status.

Unfortunately this is not the resolution I am seeking...

Thank you,
    Randy

Friday, February 20, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Randy,

I understand you checked via the OLAP cube report. However, at this point I am doubting the accuracy of that report.

Just for giggles, would you be able to

1) Open the timesheet in question (atleast one, as a delegate)

2) List all projects for tasks in the timesheet

3) Open each project and check for the Status Managers for those tasks

4) then make sure that each PM who has approvals has accepted and approved the tasks? Also that there are no 'rejections'?

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, February 20, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Prasanna,

Ok I would agree with what you are saying, but we have our time sheets set for independent approval. Meaning that the Status manager approval and the TimeSheet Manager approval does not require one to be completed before the other can be done.

Quite possible that I misunderstand this setting and how it works and misunderstood our consultant when they agreed that it worked this way.  We are using Project Online with Timesheet reporting actual hours.

and as far as recall and resubmit I have tested that with 10 of the 90 timesheets I have in the Pending Submit status and have gotten no change.

Thanks for any further suggestions on what to consider.

John Budzynsi

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:42 PM