Help - How are you sysprepping and capture Windows 8.1 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone.  

I seem to be having a hell of a time with windows 8.1 

Let me give you the run down..  ( this maybe a bit hard to explain so please bare with me. ) 

When installing 8.1 from media download from microsoft, everything is fine   ( I make a local account.  Log into it, enable the admin account, delete the local account and customize my image as needed ( drivers, apps etc )    When doing this my metro apps are there.    However, I'm not able to use MDT 2013 to sysprep and capture because my reserved partition is only 350mb versus 500mb.    So I'm not able to sysprep / capture it

When taking that same downloaded iso from microsoft and import it into MDT,  image the same machine, all my metro apps are missing.     

When trying to sysprep ( via connecting to my share and running my litetouch.wsf ) It will sysprep, restart, but then error out.    

sometimes it will sysprep, restart then sit at creating WIM and not do anything.  

Sometimes when I try to run the WSF it will sit at setting up bootstrap ( which usually means I'm not running it as the local admin ( which I am ) 

As anyone successfully sysprepped and captured 8.1 with MDT?  If so...HOW?   I've wasted the last 5 days at work trying to get this to work and I'm officially about to give up.

thanks

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:32 PM

Answers

• Scott,

I'm really a bit confused by the trouble you experience and are mentioning here. I'm thinking what more options are there for you to try other then the ones I already put forward.

Also I find it very strange that you link your boot partition to the ability of booting WinPE, because WinPE also works when a machine does not have an extra partition. See DoNotCreateExtraPartition propertie.

Running the Sysprep & Capture sequence, and that going wrong, must be traceable in either your BDD.log file or SMSTS.log (I already pointed out where to find them).

As for pre-provisioning apps, and apps being installed out of the box. Perhaps you might have this version of the Windows 8.1 image, where deploymentresearch' Johan Arwidmark has written a blog about

For the rest I think you can only take it on step further at a time. Start fresh, new task sequence, (perhaps) new imported OS, try to do a deployment in a VM, and sysprep and capture it at the end. Just to try and get the feeling of how the process is going and what it is doing.

Next to that, in your build-a-reference task sequence, you can even embed a suspend step, that lets you do manual configurations an additions, so that when you are ready, the process of sysprep and capture will continue.

If you want this, add a run command line before the "Capturing" group, and provide the following command: cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf

This will leave a shortcut on the desktop, under administrator privileges/account, to resume the task sequence after you have finished doing your work.

Any more straight forward and dumbed down then this, I can't describe.

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there are a few things you need to check and tell us first:

Which version of MDT are you using, since Windows 8.1 is only supported from MDT 2013 in combination with Windows ADK 8.1.

Furthermore, are you building your image in a virtual machine? If so, a standard client task sequence template with an official downloaded ISO from Windows 8.1 would do the trick.

Errors you are experiencing are unknown to me, and I have already performed a build, sysprep and capture of Windows 8.1 multiple times at multiple customers with multiple versions (x86 vs. x64 and professional vs. enterprise)

Post your customsettings.ini to see if anything weird is configured in there. Check your logfiles with trace64.exe (if you don't know which logfiles to check, see this blog) as a last resort, post your ts.xml which you can find in your deploymentshare\control\<task sequence id> folder.

Understanding what sysprep does, can be read here and last but not least, make sure your machine is NOT domain joined!

Come back here when you have more information for us available!

Thanks,

Cheers!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Hey Rens, 

I'm running MDT 2013 with ADK 8.1  ( updated just for 8.1, since my environment prior was perfect )

I'm building my machine on a Lenovo T440 machine.  Reason I'm doing on there versus a VM is I'm using Persisalldeviceinstalls <true>   Reason being, lenovo has all these drivers with the software packages to go with them.  ( hotkeys, dolby sound etc as an example ) 

This is my CS.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    DoCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    EventService=http://MDT:9800

this is my bootstrap.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\MDT\Sysprep$

UserID="myusename"
    USerDomain="my domain"
    UserPassword="my password"
    KeyboardLocale=en-US

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

If you don't mind me as Rens, how are you doing it?   Doing everything via a VM?  IF a VM and installing via downloaded ISO, how are you injecting the winpe when the system reservation partition is  only 350mb?    

Thanks

Scott

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I'm just doing it in Hyper-V with no specific configuration changes made as regarding to disk partitioning or boot partitions "it just works". Now that's not going to help you much, and I perfectly understand your need to have these lenovo applications on your system. But to my opinion this stuff should be in your deployment task sequence (and not in your build-a-base-image task sequence) as additional mandatory installable applications.

You can use lots of conditions to only install these pieces of software for these particular machines.

For example, win32_computersystem make, model, and also task sequence variable IsUEFI = True (or False depending on your machine)

Are you using machines which are UEFI enabled, if so, you should change your partition scheme from MBR to GPT, this will automatically create the right partitions for your machine. While typing this, it hits me, that if you have not changed this value, indeed your boot partition will have a different size.

So please check that step. You might even consider two "format and partition" steps, which use a task sequence variable: IsUEFI =  True / False to partition the disk depending on the machine that you are deploying.

So please let me know, so I can provide you with some more insights regarding this specific topic!

This way you can deploy your image either to non UEFI machines, keep things flexible, and being able to do what you want.

Furthermore you can automate your customsettings.ini, just check this link

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt reply Rens! 

I would love to be able to do a golden/master image and install the software / driver dependencies, but its a little bit out of my league to be honest.  

From my understanding... Installing 8.1 from downloaded media created a 350mb "System Partition"  Leaving only 60mb left.  when you try to run litetouch.wsf, it tries to inject drives and winpe into that "system partition" but it doesn't have enough space so therefore MDT sysprep and capture fails.    Which is weird on how you are able to do it, but I can't.

Now if you import that same downloaded ISO into MDT and image a machine with a standard task sequence, MDT creates a 500Mb "system partition" leaving enough room for winpe and drivers to be injected.    When I do this, I finally get sysprep to work with a couple issues.  Trying to launch the litetouch.wsf file, it sometimes tells me I need to run it as a admin ( but I'm logged into the admin account )  It will sit at the at the bootstrap settings window ( which means I'm not a admin..but I'm in the admin account ) and the most frustrating one of all is I will get everything ready on the machine, I will run system prep, it will execute then restart.  Instead of going into Winpe to capture the WIM, it will take me back to the log in screen.  Well I can't log into anything since sysprep disable the admin account so I have to redo everything. 

However, also when you do the latter route ( MDT installing the base, unaltered image ) It doesn't have the metro apps, whereas installing it via media it does.  ( maybe this is a bug with microsoft? )

Now for our machines are set in the bios to run legacy and UEFI, so that "shouldn't" be an issue.  

As for my customsettings.ini, I usually have a lot more in there, but I took a bunch of for testing to see if it would fix my issues...but it hasn't sadly. 

I hope that all made sense.  I rushed through it since I'm on a conference call for our backups.  

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Scott,

I'm really a bit confused by the trouble you experience and are mentioning here. I'm thinking what more options are there for you to try other then the ones I already put forward.

Also I find it very strange that you link your boot partition to the ability of booting WinPE, because WinPE also works when a machine does not have an extra partition. See DoNotCreateExtraPartition propertie.

Running the Sysprep & Capture sequence, and that going wrong, must be traceable in either your BDD.log file or SMSTS.log (I already pointed out where to find them).

As for pre-provisioning apps, and apps being installed out of the box. Perhaps you might have this version of the Windows 8.1 image, where deploymentresearch' Johan Arwidmark has written a blog about

For the rest I think you can only take it on step further at a time. Start fresh, new task sequence, (perhaps) new imported OS, try to do a deployment in a VM, and sysprep and capture it at the end. Just to try and get the feeling of how the process is going and what it is doing.

Next to that, in your build-a-reference task sequence, you can even embed a suspend step, that lets you do manual configurations an additions, so that when you are ready, the process of sysprep and capture will continue.

If you want this, add a run command line before the "Capturing" group, and provide the following command: cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf

This will leave a shortcut on the desktop, under administrator privileges/account, to resume the task sequence after you have finished doing your work.

Any more straight forward and dumbed down then this, I can't describe.

Good luck!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:45 PM