Outbound call issues RRS feed

• Question

• I first wanted to thank all the Lync pros on the forum for assisting with other issues!!!  I appreciate it..

Now I am having a strange issues.  I have a SIP trunk getting delivered to my mediation server and all is working well when it comes to initiating a call and connecting, however the person on the outside (the user that I dialed from the lync client) is not getting any audio.  Incoming audio is just fine.  I can hear it crystal clear.  Additionally, after 30 seconds the call disconnects.  Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you've got a problem with mismatched audio codecs between your SIP trunk provider and Lync. Are you using a certified for Lync SIP trunk provider as per the UCOIP? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx

You should run a SIP trace on your Mediation Server using the Logging Tool and reproduce the problem. You can then Analyse this using Snooper and try to determine the cause of the problem.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:37 PM
  • This could also be a firewall or layer-7 issue with your media packet.

I have experianced this before and I believe that unless you have a SIP aware firewall or a device which can perform L7 transcoding (NAT essentially) within the SIP traffic to change the internal mediation servers IP address to an external one, the SIP trunk provider will not be able to return the traffic to your server. This configuration results in the exact problem you are experiancing.

This is assuming that your SIP Trunk is external and not a direct SIP connection to your PBX.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Neil

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Have you check the problem with the sip trunking provider?

Maybe something with the sip trunking provider configuration.

You'd better run Lync Server Logging Tool on mediation server and get more logs about this problem. Analyze the logs with snooper.

You also can find the more logs about this issue in mediation server event viewer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:26 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you've got a problem with mismatched audio codecs between your SIP trunk provider and Lync. Are you using a certified for Lync SIP trunk provider as per the UCOIP? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx

You should run a SIP trace on your Mediation Server using the Logging Tool and reproduce the problem. You can then Analyse this using Snooper and try to determine the cause of the problem.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:37 PM
  • This could also be a firewall or layer-7 issue with your media packet.

I have experianced this before and I believe that unless you have a SIP aware firewall or a device which can perform L7 transcoding (NAT essentially) within the SIP traffic to change the internal mediation servers IP address to an external one, the SIP trunk provider will not be able to return the traffic to your server. This configuration results in the exact problem you are experiancing.

This is assuming that your SIP Trunk is external and not a direct SIP connection to your PBX.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Neil

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Have you check the problem with the sip trunking provider?

Maybe something with the sip trunking provider configuration.

You'd better run Lync Server Logging Tool on mediation server and get more logs about this problem. Analyze the logs with snooper.

You also can find the more logs about this issue in mediation server event viewer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:26 AM