SQL Server database details -> DBInstanceSummary-> Connection Status: Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with Maps 9.0 in the SQL Server database details -> DBInstanceSummary and DBInstanceProperties I got a failure as shown in the picture below.

This sounds quite strange because I'm able to collect most of Instances and Database infos. And I'm also able to connect with status: Success to other Instances hosted in the same cluster.   

Can you give me any good advice?

Thanks in advance

Ruggiero Lauria
    MCT-MCITP-MCSA-MCSE-MS SQL DBA

Monday, June 30, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• We can try to see if a detailed log might reveal where the breakdown occurs. To get the detailed log, follow these instructions precisely:

1. With MAP closed, rename the existing MAP log file which is located in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\MAP\MapToolkit.log" if the default was used during installation. It is recommended that you include a number or date when renaming so that we can keep the logs in order if we have to do this again.
    2. Open Notepad as Administrator
    3. Open "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\MAP\Logging.cfg" in Notepad
    4. Change the line that says “.default=Info” to read “.default=Trace2”
    5. Save and close the file
    6. Open MAP (this creates a new log file)
    7. Go to File > Select a Database
    8. In the window that opens, select the radio button called “Create an inventory database” and enter a name
    9. Click ok
    10. On the Overview page in MAP, click on “Perform an inventory”
    11. Choose the "SQL Server with Database Details" inventory scenario
    12. Choose only the manual entry discovery method and enter just one target machine
    13. Make sure that you use the All Computers credentials for the user name and password
    14. Once the inventory has completed, exit MAP
    15. Open Logging.cfg is the same manner as before and change it back to “.default=Info”
    16. ZIP and send us the new log file

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 11:55 PM
  • All done, but what do you exactly intend when you say "send us"?

Can you give some more details?

Thanks

Ruggiero Lauria
    MCT-MCITP-MCSA-MCSE-MS SQL DBA

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Sorry, I copied those steps from what I used in an email. If you want us to take a look, you can send the log file to mapfdbk@Microsoft.com and we can take a look. Otherwise, you can look through the log to see what error is returned when MAP tries to connect to SQL.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:19 PM