Deploying software to users with 'Restricted User' level rights RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive me if this has been covered (I searched for keywords and found nothing).

In my environment, our users are in the 'Restricted User' group on the local PC.  For this reason, it has been impossible to deploy software via the group policy distribution technique.

With SCE, does the installation of 'pushed' software work like WSUS, where it installs updates with administrator rights, or does it use the rights of the current logged in user?

Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Nathan,

It depends on software itself to determine if it can be installed it with non-admin user. As I know, most of softwares need a administrative use to install. And, SCE uses WSUS feature to deploy software.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Nathan,

It depends on software itself to determine if it can be installed it with non-admin user. As I know, most of softwares need a administrative use to install. And, SCE uses WSUS feature to deploy software.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Ok, then let's get specific: I need to use SCE 2007 SP1 to deploy the Microsoft .NET Framework 2 & 3 Redistributable packages to PCs operated by Win XP SP2 restricted users. I imported the Update packages from Microsoft Update catalog and approved the updates for installation in SCE.

But, SCE shows the "Update Status" as "Installation Not Possible" and the deployment status for all of the PCs it should have been deployed on is "Not Applicable" (But it is applicable and all pre-reqs are already on the PCs).

OK, so how about taking the Microsoft Download versions of the .NET Framework packages and creating an SCE 2007 software package to deploy them? I did so and I am waiting for it to attempt to deploy to some test PCs...But I have a bad feeling about it because it involves an .exe file and will require user interaction. What can't I get a quiet install for .NET!!!

Help! I mainly bought SCE to deploy to restricted users and now it looks problematic to attempt to do so.

I do not want to revert to using GPO to deploy and an administrative install point is not an option for restricted users.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions Smile

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:58 PM