2008 (original) SP2 - can't reduce size of winsxs folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2008 (original) server with SP2 with a winsxs folder that's taking up 14.9GB of the 50GB on the C: partition.  I cannot figure out how to reduce the amount of space it has taken.

I have installed the Desktop Experience role, but when I run Disk Cleanup, Windows Update Cleanup does not appear as one of the options to check.

I have run COMPCLN.EXE but it did not reduce the size of the winsxs folder at all.  The system doesn't recognize VSP1CLN.EXE as a valid command.

What else can I do to reduce the amount of space the winsxs folder is taking?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation?

Error: "dism" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This problem is that Windows is not able to recognize or find these exe's.

To solve this problem what you will need to do is:

a.) Find the path where DISM.exe or for that matter any program/exe that is giving the error is present at. To do this you can use windows search for DISM.exe. Note down the path. Say the path is C:\Temp\DISM

b.) Now add this path to the systems environment variables. To do this Right click on My Computer, Go to Properties, then to Advanced, then to Environment variables. In Environment variables edit the 'Path' parameter and add the path to DISM.exe.

Could you refer to my previous post about What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, July 6, 2015 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:03 AM

All replies

• Last command I know, dism /online cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

The only way to safely reduce the size of the WinSxS folder is to reduce the set of possible actions that the system can take.

You could refer to:

What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Error: "dism" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Just seen it's a 2008 not R2, check that thread, it got some package that you can install to have it

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, June 19, 2015 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation?

Error: "dism" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This problem is that Windows is not able to recognize or find these exe's.

To solve this problem what you will need to do is:

a.) Find the path where DISM.exe or for that matter any program/exe that is giving the error is present at. To do this you can use windows search for DISM.exe. Note down the path. Say the path is C:\Temp\DISM

b.) Now add this path to the systems environment variables. To do this Right click on My Computer, Go to Properties, then to Advanced, then to Environment variables. In Environment variables edit the 'Path' parameter and add the path to DISM.exe.

Could you refer to my previous post about What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, July 6, 2015 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:03 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:15 AM