APP-V Computer Account management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can you assign or publish virtual application to a computer account instead of using a user account?

I know there were suggestions that the new version of Softgrid 4.5 (AppV) will have to ability to management application groups with computers accounts and User accounts.

Is this still the case?

Cheers
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:35 AM

Answers

• Yes, and no, and maybe so.

First the NO:  The Dedicated server, when publishing over RTSP/S will only publish on a per user basis.  This no is probably the correct answer to what you really wanted, but read on...

Now the YES.  Both SCCM server deployment of VIrtual Apps, and in using the client in "Stand-alone" mode publish on a per computer basis (SCCM also has some per user capability). 

Maybe So.  Rolling your own publishing server using HTTP/s is technically possible, allowing any decision making you like, but you have to do all the heavy lifting.  Also, if "RequireAuthorizationEvenIfCached" is turned off on the client, then at the command line publishing can be done using the "/GLOBAL" flag.

Each of those other options will require additional research (and maybe development) and have addtional side effects in features gained and lost, beyond the scope that should be covered here.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:07 AM

All replies

• Yes, and no, and maybe so.

First the NO:  The Dedicated server, when publishing over RTSP/S will only publish on a per user basis.  This no is probably the correct answer to what you really wanted, but read on...

Now the YES.  Both SCCM server deployment of VIrtual Apps, and in using the client in "Stand-alone" mode publish on a per computer basis (SCCM also has some per user capability). 

Maybe So.  Rolling your own publishing server using HTTP/s is technically possible, allowing any decision making you like, but you have to do all the heavy lifting.  Also, if "RequireAuthorizationEvenIfCached" is turned off on the client, then at the command line publishing can be done using the "/GLOBAL" flag.

Each of those other options will require additional research (and maybe development) and have addtional side effects in features gained and lost, beyond the scope that should be covered here.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Tim

I tried the second part of your "maybe so" i.e. using SFTMIME with the /GLOBAL switch but couldn't get it to work unless the client was installed in stand alone mode i.e. no publishing servers configured. I do have the RequireAuthorizationifCached switched off. Am I missing something? should I be able to use a full infrastructure setup to stream per-user licensed apps and at the same time use a software delivery tool e.g. Altiris to deliver Sequences to specific devices for those apps that are licensed per device. Or is this not possible without SCCM?

Karl

Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:01 PM