none
Genre and other Tags Saved to Windows/MP3 file RRS feed

• Question

• Saving genre tags on Windows Media Player tends not to translate more than one tag. I know the operating system is capable of doing so for MP3s and other sound files because it does and has features to indicate multiple entries separated by a semi-colon. For some reason though inputting it to the file itself on windows or Media Player doesn't yield a change beyond that field. If I am trying to entire a genre tag of "Rock; Metal; Electronic", the system only inputs "Rock" to the file and has the rest on WMP. If I try it on the file location, it appears that it allows multiple entries, but refuses to save more than one.

Currently I have to use a VERY tedious work around by using a third party app to input multiple tags to the file so that other mp3 reading programs and the system itself can save the tag info in case of an issue WMP removing, forgetting or erasing/overwriting the tag info not manually. It has happened to me and periodically so when it tries to update or reinstall.

Anyways, main point being is there a way to modify the operating system, registry or whatever to allow multiple genre tags input? It seems literally like a line of code or two tweaked would fix this restriction, or it has something to do with permissions or something.

Friday, April 5, 2019 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Windows Media Player does not have this feature.

To add multiple genre tags, separate each genre with a ';', it seems that neither Windows Explorer or WMP support writing multiple genres to MP3 files, so unfortunately, your only option is to add more genres in WMP but they don't get written to file.

You may refer to the following link for a program:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:38 AM
  • WMP does in fact support saving multiple values to MP3 for some tags but unfortunately, Genre isn't one of those tags. The full list of tags with multiple value support is at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wmformat/attributes-with-multiple-values .

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have not responded for a long time, we will temporarily archive this post.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If you have any questions,  please feel free to contact us.

Friday, April 19, 2019 6:22 AM