DHCP failover not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to implement DHCP failover using load balancing with an Essentials and a Standard server.  I have everything configured and working but I am facing an issue.

If I try to start the DHCP services on the Essentials server and the DHCP services on the Standard server are already started it will not start and I get error 1053 The DHCP/BINL service has encountered another server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.1.3, belonging to the domain: . in the event log on the Essentials serve.

Any ideas why this is?

Saturday, June 8, 2013 9:06 PM

Answers

• Because of the unique nature of Essentials it is positioned to be either not the DHCP server, in favor of the router or some other device, or the only DHCP server in the LAN.  If it senses another DHCP server it will turn off the service. 

In a network of this size there is little need for multiple or failover DHCP servers.  With a lease time in the one week category the chances that the server will be off line at the same time that clients need to renew are pretty slim.  Should the server simply be unavailable you can turn the DHCP on the router, or, as you intend, on the second server.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:23 AM

All replies

• Because of the unique nature of Essentials it is positioned to be either not the DHCP server, in favor of the router or some other device, or the only DHCP server in the LAN.  If it senses another DHCP server it will turn off the service. 

In a network of this size there is little need for multiple or failover DHCP servers.  With a lease time in the one week category the chances that the server will be off line at the same time that clients need to renew are pretty slim.  Should the server simply be unavailable you can turn the DHCP on the router, or, as you intend, on the second server.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:23 AM
  • This would happen if one of your servers is domain joined (standard ?) and the other server is workgroup (essentials?). The workgroup server checks for the presence of any domain joined DHCP server and stops itself if it finds one. You can get around this by adding the registry param DisableRogueDetection (DWORD) and setting it to 1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer\Parameters on the workgroup server.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Funny, I'm actually getting the same exact thing as I implemented DHCP on Essentials this week as well.

Instead of Load balancing, I'm actually going to try put the Server 2012 Standard as the Hot Standby in case Essentials goes down.
    Yes, it is a small network and likely overkill, but still good practice to setup. I already have the DNS replicated to the same server.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:09 PM
  • You may want to review this document,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831385.aspx

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:32 PM

• In a network of this size there is little need for multiple or failover DHCP servers.  With a lease time in the one week category the chances that the server will be off line at the same time that clients need to renew are pretty slim.  Should the server simply be unavailable you can turn the DHCP on the router, or, as you intend, on the second server.

Larry, I am not sure I find this to be the case -- that rarely will the server be off at the same time clients need to renew.  I volunteer support to a local non profit.  Sadly, it's not uncommon for the Essentials server to not come up cleanly after a Microsoft Update or a power outage.  With DHCP not available on the WSE2012 server, employees who come in and fire up their laptops will in some cases hit the lease expiration.  I'll get a phone call, and now there will be two frustrated people.  :-)

I *could* return to letting the router handle DHCP, but I've read too many times on technet and social forums the rather forceful recommendations by microsoft people that an Essentials served network should have DHCP running on the server.

I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The  strong recommendation from microsoft is to always serve BOTH DHCP and DNS from a WSE server.  However, there appears to be no DHCP failover option for WSE, which will make my users unhappy (and strain my volunteerism!).

Thoughts?

I've tried to research whether WSE will allow a router to act as a failover in hot standby mode, but haven't succeeded.  (I'll then need to find a router that supports hot standby in a WSE environment.)

(I realize I am quite late to this thread.  Hopefully that's not a problem.)

Steve

• Edited by sjg2 Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:06 PM
    Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Thank you for resolving an identical issue of mine. I had trouble establishing failover DHCP protocol running one Standard and one Essential server.

I have a 2012 Server Standard with user CAL scheme handling and active directory spreading across 2 office branches. The smaller one fits within the 25 user, 50 device limit (set by WSE), but is handled by the main branch providing shared storage and license issuance. The failover was needed to to make the smaller branch partially autonomous, if the internet connection between the 2 ever went down or if the main server crashed.

When setting up DHCP I found it strange that both servers allowed themselves to enter scope-sharing only to have WSE drop out an hour later.

The registry override, obviously, worked.

I'm surprised Microsoft chose to have mismatching configurations across 2012 Server revisions. My guess is that the company was trying to prevent people from tying multiple Essentials networks into one to save money on CAL's. I mean, why else?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:30 PM