Windows 7 BSOD on bootup stop code 0x1000007e RRS feed

• Question

• A few months ago I had my machine start BSODing on me during the bootup. I assumed it was related to a windows update & never did figure out what the problem was & finally rebuilt the machine.

Out of the blue it started happening again today, same stop code. No recent changes to the machine & I don't recall any windows updates hitting it.

It will get into safe mode with networking, but won't otherwise finish booting without a BSOD (normal, last known config, run the windows repair utilities, etc.). I've uninstalled AVG (started using AVG a month or so ago & had Symantec or MS Security Tools for the previous problems) & updated video drivers to no effect. BIOS is the latest & greatest. Memtest86 reports RAM as being fine after several iterations.

"Stop 0x0000007E" or "Stop 0x00000050" Stop error message in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 can't be installed due to the only working in safe mode & doesn't seem terribly relevant as I just get a stop code, not the "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED", driver listed or other useful debugging info.

Event log message is:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff880058d52c4, 0xfffff88003577518, 0xfffff88003576d70). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 091811-17394-01.

091811-17394-01.dmp is from c:\Windows\minidump & I can post a zipped memory.dmp as well if need be.

Any suggestions?

Devin

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking this dump file, it indicates some drivers or functions could cause this issue.

From the result, it mentioned the specific file: Ha20x22k.sys; based on my research, this is a sound card driver, please confirm this information, if so, you could update the related driver to fix this issue.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Devin Noel Friday, September 23, 2011 3:22 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• hi,

please post the DMP file to Microsoft skydrive an post a link here

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:27 PM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public/memory.dmp.zip

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot access your website to download the dump file for analyzing, please refer to the following article to upload the dump file again:

Use SkyDrive to upload collected files and post screen shot/picture.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Oops, sory was getting late the other night & I was in a hury, should have noticed that URL didn't look right.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ed6ec65d04a141a7&id=ED6EC65D04A141A7!121

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

After checking this dump file, it indicates some drivers or functions could cause this issue.

From the result, it mentioned the specific file: Ha20x22k.sys; based on my research, this is a sound card driver, please confirm this information, if so, you could update the related driver to fix this issue.

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Devin Noel Friday, September 23, 2011 3:22 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Thanks for the update, that is a Creative Labs sound card driver. I ended up rebuilding the machine already & ironically had a BSOD referencing that very file during the driver install. I managed to get things sorted our about the HA20x22k.sys BSOD last night & get some different drivers to install without problem.

I've hated Creative Labs & their drivers for a while, even more now that I know they are the cause of my random 0x1000007e errors. Looks like it might be time for a new sound card that doesn't suck. Unfortunately the one built into my motherboard gets a lot of static on it, which forced me to get the Creative Labs one. Will investigate another aftermarket card now.

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:22 PM