none
DPM short term tape backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

Currently i am using DPM 2010 with standalone tape drive. I create a protection group and scheduled the short term daily backup to tape. And the 

retention period is 1 week. My question, suppose i am taking a backup on Sunday 1st Jan 10:00 PM and it will expire on next Sunday 7th Jan 10:00 PM, so when i use the same 1st Jan cartridge on 7th Jan will it take the backup coz the data gonna expire at 10:00 PM. Or should i have to manage a new cartridge? 

Regards, Ishuv

• Edited by Ishuv Friday, March 22, 2013 7:09 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a fix introduced in

Description of hotfix rollup package 6 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

•Tapes are not reusable until the day after the day of expiry. This is true because DPM waits until midnight to run the reclamation job that marks tapes as reusable. If a user wants a tape to
     be reusable on the same day on which it expires, the user should follow these steps.

1.Create the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

2.Create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32-bit DWORD value, and then set its value data to 1.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:36 PM