none
Do I need to install the OneDrive Desktop app on Windows 10 if OneDrive is already built in? RRS feed

• Question

• I am an SCCM Admin and I create Office 365 deployments using the Office 365 Client Management's deployment wizard and I see an option that is checked titled "OneDrive Desktop" as shown in the screenshot below. 

My question is, if OneDrive already comes built in to Windows 10, do I really need to select the "OneDrive Desktop" option in the Office 365 client deployment?

We have a corporate Office 365 account where almost all users have access to, so I am assuming they can just use their accounts to sign in with the built in OneDrive app and save their files to their accounts, or is this not the case?

Here is the screenshot from my SCCM Office 365 Client Management's deployment wizard:

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi

The in built OneDrive with windows 10 is meant for peronal stroage accounts not office 365 accounts you might be able to connect to Office365 but I havent tried. Onedrive for business which is installed with office 2016 and click to run office is designed for Office 365 as it gives you more features like synicng SharePoint sites. 

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

If you need to sync SharePoint site libraries or OneDrive for Business as part of previous versions of SharePoint Server on-premises (before SharePoint Server 2019 Public Preview and not part of Office 365 business or education subscriptions) on Windows, you need to check OneDrive (Groove) to install OneDrive for Business client.

Additionally, the following article talked about the difference for OneDrive clients. Please read the Which sync client do I need? part below:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/which-version-of-onedrive-am-i-using-19246eae-8a51-490a-8d97-a645c151f2ba

Hope it helps :)

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi

The in built OneDrive with windows 10 is meant for peronal stroage accounts not office 365 accounts you might be able to connect to Office365 but I havent tried. Onedrive for business which is installed with office 2016 and click to run office is designed for Office 365 as it gives you more features like synicng SharePoint sites. 

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 8:13 PM
  • Thank you
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

If you need to sync SharePoint site libraries or OneDrive for Business as part of previous versions of SharePoint Server on-premises (before SharePoint Server 2019 Public Preview and not part of Office 365 business or education subscriptions) on Windows, you need to check OneDrive (Groove) to install OneDrive for Business client.

Additionally, the following article talked about the difference for OneDrive clients. Please read the Which sync client do I need? part below:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/which-version-of-onedrive-am-i-using-19246eae-8a51-490a-8d97-a645c151f2ba

Hope it helps :)

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Thank you very much
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:48 PM