none
Camera requirements for Windows Hello Facial recognition RRS feed

• Question

• We are thinking about develop a software so that people can use common cameras only to login on.
    Common cameras, we mean, cameras with video/image capture capability only, without IR and others.
    For instance, Logitech C920.

Online searching suggests that it should be developed under Windows Hello framework. 

However,the page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-biometrics-in-enterprise 
    states that "To allow facial recognition, you must have devices with integrated special infrared (IR) sensors and software”.

So just for confirmation, it is not possible to make a Hello facial recog solution with common cameras like C920?

Moreover, after some digging, it seems that if we want to build our own camera (with IR), it should get certificated
    by Hello Companion Device framework, so that is can be integrate to a Hello solution.
    Is it so?

About Hello Copanion Device Framework:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/windows-hello-companion-device-framework

Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:57 AM

All replies

• No, common cameras like Logitech C920 does not meet requirement.

Windows Hello face authentication utilizes a camera specially configured for near infrared (IR) imaging to authenticate and unlock Windows devices as well as unlock your Microsoft Passport. Just as you mentioned, “you must have devices with integrated special infrared (IR) sensors and software”.

>>it seems that if we want to build our own camera (with IR), it should get certificated

Yes, your own camera need to be verified and signed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/security/companion-device-unlock

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 21, 2018 1:51 AM
  • I have a new cool idea for Microsoft, how about adding a DNA recognition system for windows hello login that's so safe and if laptops doesn't have DNA scanners, well no worries, that's not Microsoft's problem.
    • Edited by vahidbaq Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:40 PM
  • Cameras that support Windows Hello are actually CHEAPER than *common cameras*, such as the Logitech C922. oddly enough.  The issue with them is that they are specialized for Windows Hello, and do not have the versatility outside of Windows Hello that the Logitech C92x does. (I actually own a Logitech C922 camera that I use for video, streaming, and other purposes; basically everything BUT Windows Hello.)  A camera for Windows Hello - in this case, the Kaysuda Facial Recognition IR camera - is $69.99USD, while the Logitech C922 is $79.99USD (including tripod) or $10.00USD more.  There ARE cameras that do both - including one from Logitech (Logitech BRIO); however, they cost more than a tag-team (the BRIO is currently $160.73USD - $10.74USD more).  If space is a premium, I would recommend the BRIO because of that versatility; however, I don't have that issue.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 4:17 PM