Missing stored procedure on Secondary Sites - sp_CP_CheckNewAssignedMachine RRS feed

• Question

• The scenario is a new Configuration Manager 2012 deployment. 1 CAS, 1 Primary, 5 Seconday sites. The CAS site points to it's own instance on SQL cluster. The primary site also points to it's own instance on an SQL cluster. All five secondary sites are using the auto-installed SQL Express on each box (VM) along with the configuration manager stuff.

I've been tracing down issues with workstations showing up in the CM console, but they are not associated with a management point and/or the device is listed as "Inactive". So, more searching and browsing technet and random trips to google, but so far I haven't found others having this same problem.

It appears to be that the stored procedure sp_CP_CheckNewAssignedMachine doesn't exist on any of my secondary sites. When looking through the SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER logs for all five sites, the following entry comes up daily.

Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 2812, severity 16: [42000][2812][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Could not find stored procedure 'sp_CP_CheckNewAssignedMachine'.

I fired up SQL server management studio and connect to each database and see if infact that stored procedure exists. It is missing on all of the secondary sites.

Because this is asked in other sort of related threads, I am using AD Sites and Services to define the boundaries and there is a 1:1 for boundary groups, no overlaps.

I came across this after seeing repeating entries in SMS_CCM\Logs\ClientAuth.log on all five secondary sites that look like this.

<![LOG[Encountered database error while verifying headers for client 'GUID:5EEA7F21-01A3-4B2E-B415-A971A3E546C6' (0x87d00238).]LOG]!><time="18:51:04.212+420" date="09-17-2012" component="ClientAuth" context="" type="2" thread="3172" file="clientauthutil.cpp:650">
    <![LOG[Error verifying message from client 'GUID:5EEA7F21-01A3-4B2E-B415-A971A3E546C6' (0x87d00238).]LOG]!><time="18:51:04.212+420" date="09-17-2012" component="ClientAuth" context="" type="3" thread="3172" file="clientauthhook.cpp:558">
    <![LOG[Encountered database error while verifying headers for client 'GUID:3B5D1136-6F70-4FE8-BA67-1A410C044C78' (0x87d00238).]LOG]!><time="18:51:19.263+420" date="09-17-2012" component="ClientAuth" context="" type="2" thread="2660" file="clientauthutil.cpp:650">
    <![LOG[Error verifying message from client 'GUID:3B5D1136-6F70-4FE8-BA67-1A410C044C78' (0x87d00238).]LOG]!><time="18:51:19.263+420" date="09-17-2012" component="ClientAuth" context="" type="3" thread="2660" file="clientauthhook.cpp:558">

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I saw the exact the same issue with 7 new secondary sites I Installed. The moment you stick in the content boundary group the clientauth.log on each of the secondary's starts to fill up. If you remove the content boundary group after a short while the clientauth.log stops filling, communication starts to work but clients can not find any distributed software.

Try uninstalling the SQL Server R2 Native Client and installing the SQL 2008 Native Client.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123718&clcid=0x409

I would be interested to know if this resolves your issue. Due to the sites going live I had to remove the secondary sites and install DP's which work perfectly fine. In a lab at home I have set up everything exactly the same way but without the cluster and it works fine so would be really interested to know if this solves your issue, in the home lab I don't have enough resource free to setup the cluster for further testing.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I saw the exact the same issue with 7 new secondary sites I Installed. The moment you stick in the content boundary group the clientauth.log on each of the secondary's starts to fill up. If you remove the content boundary group after a short while the clientauth.log stops filling, communication starts to work but clients can not find any distributed software.

Try uninstalling the SQL Server R2 Native Client and installing the SQL 2008 Native Client.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123718&clcid=0x409

I would be interested to know if this resolves your issue. Due to the sites going live I had to remove the secondary sites and install DP's which work perfectly fine. In a lab at home I have set up everything exactly the same way but without the cluster and it works fine so would be really interested to know if this solves your issue, in the home lab I don't have enough resource free to setup the cluster for further testing.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hey -Richard-,

Thanks for the response. I saw this same resposne from you in a similar thread. It sounded good, but since I hadn't seen any supporting documentation, particularily from MSFT on the topic, I was leary of trying it.

So I called product support yesterday and let a msft tech troubleshoot and resolve the matter. LOW AND BEHOLD, the solution was exactly what you posted. From our conversation they see about 20% of customers with this type of setup are having problems like I was seeing. I still need to confirm that we're not paying for the support call. Since the changes the support rep made were on a secondary site where Configuration Manager actually installs SQL Express without interaction (including the 2008 R2 native client), but they had to uninstall the R2 native client and install the non-R2 client, that's not really me clicking the wrong checkbox, but the product as shipped isn't working correctly.

The tech made the changes to only one of the secondary sites. I then went and re-installed the configuration manager client on all of the workstations that belong to that site. Within a few minutes of clients being installed they were correctly showing up in the CM console with the correct site name and management point name. SMS_CCM\Logs\ClientAuth.log on the site server no longer has entries with 'Encountered database error while verifying headers for client' or 'Error verifying message from client'. So, that's one problem solved.

The 'Could not find stored procedure 'sp_CP_CheckNewAssignedMachine'.' error has not come up since replacing the Native Client. I checked on the secondary site and confirmed that the stored procedure still does not exist, but the error is not showing up either. Haven't found the trigger for the DB call either, so I'm not sure what process actually causes that SP to be called in the first place. However the other secondary sites show that being called once every 24 hours, so I'll wait another day before claiming victory.

• Edited by nf_ Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know, this issue caused me a right headache for days. Glad you got it sorted!
    Friday, September 21, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hey -Richard-

Have you noticed your secondary site now wants to install updates for SQL Server 2008, even though it has R2 installed and only the non R2 component now installed is the Native Client?

Above is a secondary site that is still not registering clients as I have not changed the SQL 2008 R2 Native Client out yet.

Above is the secondary site that the support rep uninstalled SQL 2008 R2 Native Client and installed the SQL 2008 (non R2) Native Client.

Just trying to confirm my scenario.

• Edited by nf_ Friday, September 21, 2012 5:54 PM Better explanation and pictures
    Friday, September 21, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

Really sorry but I removed all my secondary sites and replaced them with distribution points as I needed to get a working solution in place and apps out before the sites opened so I cant give you any more info.

Our sites have up to 2000 clients, the link between the Distribution points and the Primary is good though but they work perfectly.

I will always be using distribution points from now on I think.

You can install them really quickly too :)

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Ahh, Ok. Glad it's working for you :)
    Friday, September 21, 2012 5:56 PM
  • i also have the same message every day on all my secondary sites.

Could not find stored procedure 'sp_CP_CheckNewAssignedMachine'

would be happy to see a better solution than replacing the native client with the non-R2 one.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi there, sorry to bring this old thread back again, but has anyone found an alternate solution to this? Since for me changing to the non-R2 is not an option...
    Friday, November 30, 2012 11:19 PM