stp error on MOSS server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to upload stp file on to the site collection.. It is hardly 900kb. When I try to upload the stp file it throws me an error

Server Out Of Memory

There is no memory on the server to run your program. Please contact your administrator with this problem. 

I'm the administrator..

But when I change the extension to .txt instead og .stp it is uploading fine without any error. Please help me out guys..

Yashwanth
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 25, 2011 8:31 AM Do NOT use bold for your entire text. Bold removed
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 25, 2011 8:31 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my understanding, generally speaking, the stp file is much larger than txt file. This also goes for ASP.NET applications as well. This typically can be encountered when the number of SPS2007 sites are greater than about 100 or so. 
    To work around this problem, configure the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool to use more than one Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Worker Process (W3wp.exe). For example, if your portal contains 120 subsites, configure the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool to use one worker process for each group of 30 subsites. Therefore, the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool uses four IIS worker processes.
    Please have a try.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:20 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Hi Yashwanth,

while i'm googling, i found an article talks about "dealing-with-memory-pressure-problems-in-moss-wss", he mentions Common Reasons for memory pressure

such as the following reasons:-

Reason 1: Running a web application in debug mode.

Reason 2: Managed objects holding references to COM components are not correctly released.

Reason 3: Hosting multiple web applications in the same application pool

Reason 4: memory hungry application code

also, he mentions the solutions for all previous problem reasons.

my opinion is checking reason 2, and find the solution in the following URL.

for more details, http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2007/11/26/dealing-with-memory-pressure-problems-in-moss-wss.aspx

Best Regrads, Ahmed Madany
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Yashwanth,

Do an IISRESET and then try

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

According to my understanding, generally speaking, the stp file is much larger than txt file. This also goes for ASP.NET applications as well. This typically can be encountered when the number of SPS2007 sites are greater than about 100 or so. 
    To work around this problem, configure the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool to use more than one Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Worker Process (W3wp.exe). For example, if your portal contains 120 subsites, configure the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool to use one worker process for each group of 30 subsites. Therefore, the MSSharePointPortalAppPool application pool uses four IIS worker processes.
    Please have a try.

Best Regards
    David Hu

Monday, March 28, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Try adding the stp using stsadm -o addtemplate and see if that works for you.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi Yashwanth,

while i'm googling, i found an article talks about "dealing-with-memory-pressure-problems-in-moss-wss", he mentions Common Reasons for memory pressure

such as the following reasons:-

Reason 1: Running a web application in debug mode.

Reason 2: Managed objects holding references to COM components are not correctly released.

Reason 3: Hosting multiple web applications in the same application pool

Reason 4: memory hungry application code

also, he mentions the solutions for all previous problem reasons.

my opinion is checking reason 2, and find the solution in the following URL.

for more details, http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2007/11/26/dealing-with-memory-pressure-problems-in-moss-wss.aspx

Best Regrads, Ahmed Madany
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:36 PM