Windows Live Mail 2012 and hotmail.ca accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Will Windows Live Mail 2012 still work with Hotmail.ca accounts after June 30, 2016? I received a warning e-mail about this from Microsoft, but it didn't mention Hotmail.CA accounts specifically - only Hotmail.COM.  Thanks.

Sunday, June 26, 2016 8:48 PM

Answers

• This affects all Microsoft accounts including Hotmail, Outlook, Live, & MSN domains.

If you are ONLY using windows live mail (any version) for email and not calendar & contacts you can configure it to work using IMAP.  If you do need to sync calendar & contacts .. 

There is a great replacement for Windows live mail that is free to try (up to 2 accounts) that DOES work with the new outlook mail format called emclient.  There is also a paid version. You can get either here

It works with Exchange, POP, IMAP, and looks similar to Windows live mail.  Frankly it is the first replacement I have seen that actually works.  I have switched.

They have their own support forums, a decent product, and seem to be the only replacement for WLM that has the look and feel of it.

You can import all your windows live mail into emclient easily by doing a file>import>windows live mail.  This will import your current WLM data into emclient

Out of an abundance of caution I would make a copy of the entire WLM folder and save it to a safe location.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, June 26, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Hi Concerned Canuck,

To provide you an email experience with enhanced performance, security and reliability, the new Outlook.com has been built upon our latest Office 365 infrastructure. Because the Windows Live Mail 2012 email application doesn't support the protocols used by this new infrastructure, you will not be able to send or receive Outlook.com email from Windows Live Mail 2012 after your account is upgraded.

if you have a Microsoft mailing address -- @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com -- you won't be able to use the Windows Live Mail 2012 email client after June 30.

Please refer to the link below to get more information about Windows Live Mail 2012

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3067121/email/microsoft-to-windows-live-mail-2012-users-switch-now.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:12 AM

All replies

• This affects all Microsoft accounts including Hotmail, Outlook, Live, & MSN domains.

If you are ONLY using windows live mail (any version) for email and not calendar & contacts you can configure it to work using IMAP.  If you do need to sync calendar & contacts .. 

There is a great replacement for Windows live mail that is free to try (up to 2 accounts) that DOES work with the new outlook mail format called emclient.  There is also a paid version. You can get either here

It works with Exchange, POP, IMAP, and looks similar to Windows live mail.  Frankly it is the first replacement I have seen that actually works.  I have switched.

They have their own support forums, a decent product, and seem to be the only replacement for WLM that has the look and feel of it.

You can import all your windows live mail into emclient easily by doing a file>import>windows live mail.  This will import your current WLM data into emclient

Out of an abundance of caution I would make a copy of the entire WLM folder and save it to a safe location.

Sunday, June 26, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Hi Concerned Canuck,

To provide you an email experience with enhanced performance, security and reliability, the new Outlook.com has been built upon our latest Office 365 infrastructure. Because the Windows Live Mail 2012 email application doesn't support the protocols used by this new infrastructure, you will not be able to send or receive Outlook.com email from Windows Live Mail 2012 after your account is upgraded.

if you have a Microsoft mailing address -- @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com -- you won't be able to use the Windows Live Mail 2012 email client after June 30.

Please refer to the link below to get more information about Windows Live Mail 2012

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3067121/email/microsoft-to-windows-live-mail-2012-users-switch-now.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:12 AM
  • You can configure WLM to use POP, or IMAP and continue to send and receive mail.  You cannot sync calendar & contacts.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 11:18 AM