none
Is there a way to pin a folder to the taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have been unsuccessful in getting anything folder-based to pin to the taskbar. They all only give the option to pin to Windows Explorer. Please, someone tell me that I'm just dumb and can't find the setting that's on by default and prevents me from actually making my taskbar useful and quick.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:06 PM

Answers

• You aren't missing anything obvious.  Isn't it strange that you can't pin a folder directly to the taskbar?

You can "cheat" and create a QuickLaunch bar, but that's going against the spirit of beta testing, of course!

I've sent feedback on this issue.  May I suggest you use the Send Feedback facility to do the same?

Also there's a thread in 'Miscellaneous' which is being swept for comments and fed back to Microsoft.  Must be worth adding your voice there, too.

• Marked as answer by Lycius Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:37 PM

All replies

• You aren't missing anything obvious.  Isn't it strange that you can't pin a folder directly to the taskbar?

You can "cheat" and create a QuickLaunch bar, but that's going against the spirit of beta testing, of course!

I've sent feedback on this issue.  May I suggest you use the Send Feedback facility to do the same?

Also there's a thread in 'Miscellaneous' which is being swept for comments and fed back to Microsoft.  Must be worth adding your voice there, too.

• Marked as answer by Lycius Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:37 PM
  • What about pinning Windows explorer and the pin your folder in Windows Explorer?

Your folder is still accessible through one click (right button of course).
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Actually that's two clicks... and the folder I pinned is way at the top of the jump list, so I have to move my mouse up (more than half-way up my screen) past all the 'recent' folders to get to the pinned one.  I hate that as a user experience.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:12 PM
  • The taskbar can be rightclicked to choose 'toolbars', and then 'Computer' or any subfolder of that is then available as a menu of the folder contents by clicking the double arrow at the end. Rightclicking the arrows will let you 'open folder'
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Mark L. Ferguson said:

The taskbar can be rightclicked to choose 'toolbars', and then 'Computer' or any subfolder of that is then available as a menu of the folder contents by clicking the double arrow at the end. Rightclicking the arrows will let you 'open folder'

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

I HATE using the toolbar mess on the taskbar. I normally have multiple folders on my taskbar for instant access. As a user experience, being forced into multiple clicks rather than 1 is poor in the extreme.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Sounds like you are ready to get into gadgets. You can find (or create) a gadget to do that. It's why gadgets were added to Windows, to make adding features a breeze.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:31 PM
  • No, I don't want anything on my desktop. I want Microsoft to not tell me how to use my taskbar or force me into multiple clicks when it couldn't take much at all to stop forcing folders to pin to Win Explorer. Realize that options are NOT a bad thing and not everyone is going to use their computers the same way. If I wanted no options I would buy a Mac.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:29 AM
  • You're Welcome, and good luck with your new Mac : )
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:33 AM
  • I'd rather eat my own lips than buy a Mac. Proprietary hardware, limited control of your own machine, hipness over functionality.

I'll just stick with XP just like I did when Vista came out.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:51 AM