none
Server2008R2 Static IPconfig

Question

• I am an IT Tech (NOOB), I have been building and repairing computers for many years and I was recently dropped in to a position that requires me to expand my knowledge & abilities to include windows server2008R2 and Group Policy Administration. It has been requested that I change one of the computers on the server/network that connects with a lab station, to a Static-IP so that it does not try to update randomly.

My question is : do I have to do this using the Group Policy Management Console on the server or do I just do an Ipconfig on the computer itself directly? and What is the best or correct way to make and test the change?

Thank You in Advance : pcpat2112 the IT noob

Patrick Zito (ACR) Affordable Computer Repairs

Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

You could set static ip on server self,or you could add a reservation to this server for mac address on DHCP server.(for assigning same ip address).This is not related with group policy.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Sunday, September 6, 2015 7:21 PM
  • First of all try to find the reason for currect configuration and target configuration and what may be consequences of requested change.

Second - there is a good habit to keep IP address static in servers.

Third - change IP address manually or remotely with netsh (end psexec from Sysinternals)

Regards

Milos

Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:08 PM