GAL is missing in Outlook 2007/2010 due to msExchQueryBaseDN? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Exchange 2010 coexisting with Exchange 2007.

I wanted to separate GALs  in OWA for 2 groups of users and for that I put the DistinguishedName of GAL in "msExchQueryBaseDN" attribute of each user. After that I m able to view GAL in OWA, but in Outlook 2007/2010 I m not able to view the GAL (checked both outlook in cache + non cache), while OAB is available once it is downloaded. 

When I clear this user attribute "msExchQueryBaseDN"( make it empty) then same custom GAL is being shown in Outlook and OWA both. I m surprised to see this behavior. 

I know that "msExchQueryBaseDN" only effects OWA, but in my case exchange behaviour is not usual.

Can anyone comment on it.

Best regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:59 PM

Answers

• I am experiencing the same issue was your issue with an exchange sp1 installation?

Yes Omar I have confirmed, this problem is occuring on Exch 2010 SP1 only.

I have Exch 2010 RTM (without SP1) and it is running fine with msExchQueryBaseDN with Outlook 2007.

This is Ex 2010 SP1 problem for sure.

Using "MsExchQueryBaseDN" is a very good and simple way to show GAL in OWA, and this bug in Ex2010 SP1 is really bad, bcoz it is affecting Outlook, not the OWA.

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    • Marked as answer by Laeeq Qazi Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

The current solution for this problem is to just clear the msExchQueryBaseDN attribute of mailbox users using some AD Eiditing tool like ADSIEdit or scripting.

After clearing this attribute you would be able to see respective GAL in OWA and Outlook, which seems to work alike for getting user-GAL from AD using ACLs.

Regards,

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can this be due to coexistence of Exchange 2007, segregated using this Configuring Virtual Organizations and Address List Segregation in Exchange 2007?

I have thoroughly checked it, but still clueless why this is happening.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Hi,

I have seen running Ex2010 coexisting with Ex2007 without any problem (with Address list segregation applied on Exchange 2007).

Can anyone else confirm whether this is a problem or not?

Regards,

Monday, October 4, 2010 10:05 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue was your issue with an exchange sp1 installation?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:32 AM

Yes Omar I have confirmed, this problem is occuring on Exch 2010 SP1 only.

I have Exch 2010 RTM (without SP1) and it is running fine with msExchQueryBaseDN with Outlook 2007.

This is Ex 2010 SP1 problem for sure.

Using "MsExchQueryBaseDN" is a very good and simple way to show GAL in OWA, and this bug in Ex2010 SP1 is really bad, bcoz it is affecting Outlook, not the OWA.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

The current solution for this problem is to just clear the msExchQueryBaseDN attribute of mailbox users using some AD Eiditing tool like ADSIEdit or scripting.

After clearing this attribute you would be able to see respective GAL in OWA and Outlook, which seems to work alike for getting user-GAL from AD using ACLs.

Regards,

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:48 AM
  • We are using Hosting controller version 8 and faced the same issue. yes that's right issue has been resolved by clearing this entry ' MsExchQueryBaseDn '

Thanks Laeeq for providing instant solution. Hope MS will provide any patch for it as well.

---- Khan http://hostautomate.com
    • Proposed as answer by HA-Host Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:34 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Laeeq - We discovered the same thing while working with Microsoft. The issue that remains is that the "all address list" still shows up (just with no entries under it). When you click this option it gives "bookmark not valid". the global address list works fine but before we had a listing of the address list assigned to the customer, now this no longer shows up listed under the "All Address List" option. Can you confirm you have the same issue or does it look identical as before?
    Omar Armenteros Virtuworks
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:40 PM