Can anyone comment on what specific WinSxS scenarios work virtualized? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen many references to improved WinSxS support in SG 4.1 SP1.  I'm wondering if any MS folks can comment on what specific things were improved and what specific things still don't work.

The reason why I'm asking is because a client of mine has an application that wasn't working on certain desktop clients.  After digging into it with ProcMon I found the issue was due to a WinSxS issue related to the Visual C++ Runtime 2005 SP1 files.  It seems that their desktop PCs have the VC++ 2005SP1 runtime installed, but the laptops did not (likewise neither did the Citrix servers).  Deploying the VC++ 2005SP1 runtime on these platforms allows the application to work successfully.

When attempting to re-sequence this application we installed the VC++ 2005SP1 runtime on the sequencer during the monitoring phase, but it seems like the WinSxS refererences were not captured and subsequently delivered to the client OS in the virtual environment.

I've also seen references to KB939084 which indicates that both the .NET Framework 2.0 and the Visual C++ Runtime 2005 SP1 components need to be natively installed on the client systems.  However, this KB article doesn't reference which specific Softgrid Sequencer or Client versions that it's relevant for.  I'm also aware that the 4.5 Client requires the installation of the VC++ 2005 runtime so that dependency should be satisfied going forward for all Softgrid client deployments.

So my questions are this:

1) What exactly are the improvements in WinSxS in 4.1SP1 and later?
    2) Is there any difference between the WinSxS support between the 4.1SP1, 4.2, and 4.5 clients?
    3) Is there any difference between the WinSxS support between the 4.1SP1, 4.2, and 4.5 sequencers?
    4) Is the improved WinSxS support supposed to deal with this issue for the VC Runtime?
    5) What other WinSxS issues are known besides the VC Runtime one?

Thanks.

Shawn
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:48 PM

All replies

• I don't have much info but here you go.

1) I have no technical details other than more applications will work with newer code.

2) From what I know 4.1 and 4.2 should be the same but I'm under the impression from talks at MMS that 4.5 will probably have more enhancements but that is speculation on my part. I was told specifically .NET support on 4.5 will be better and I am assuming the same will be for WinSxS.

3) Same as 2.

4) I think it is WinSxS in general.

5) Got the odd application using WinSxS to work under 4.1 SP1 HFRU 2 that didn't under 4.1.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:43 PM
    Answerer
  • I think it's rather odd situation with the SxS where some SxS related things seem to be working but obviously not all (like .NET FX 2.0 on both sequence and locally, which was warned against in recent KB article): how can you implement SxS support only partially?! It really should be no support at all or correctly/fully implemented support..

Not sure if there's other factors besides SxS that affects our perspection on the issue and that's why it would be good to have definitive MS answer on this whole mess.

/Kalle

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Can anyone from MS comment on this?
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:06 PM