Desktop Folder Redirection Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having great difficulty getting Desktop Folder Redirection working correctly and more importantly consistently.

In a 2008 R2 domain, with all wired desktops running Windows 7 SP1, Desktop Folder Redirection and all other Folder Redirection policies work correctly.

On most wireless netbooks, also running Windows 7 SP1, Desktop Folder Redirection is failing on most, yet all other Folder Redirection policies work correctly.

My Documents (and all sub folders), mapped drives, printers are all applying correctly, just not Desktop Folder Redirection.

Netbooks are connected to a secure WPA2-AES network. If it was a permissions issue then surely all desktops would be affected too, but they're not. I cannot see what's causing this issue and the event and the event logs are not very helpful, other than to say the policy was not applied.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the GPMC.log, I’d like to confirm the Folder Redirection policy settings is configured in Curric GPO.

Please try to select Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop and Move the contents of Desktop to the new location check boxes first. For details: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

I also found that: Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below. Cannot complete this function.

With the gpresult.log, I found that the Curric GPO is not applied:

Applied Group Policy Objects

-----------------------------

N/A

To work around these problems, split the policy into smaller policies. Make sure that the total size of each policy file is smaller than the 32,767 character limit.

Please also make sure network is smooth

There are some related articles for your reference:

Errors when you have a large "Folder Redirection" policy settings file in Windows Vista, in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Troubleshooting Group Policy Using Event Logs

A test case for troubleshooting group policy application – Event ID 1085 and 7016 - Ask the Directory Services Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Elytis Cheng Monday, October 31, 2011 1:53 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Could you please tell us the present situation?

Please try to disable ths policy Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

If the issue persist, please create a new GPO and link a new OU to configure only folder redirection to test if it is normal. If the situation is normal, wireless network maybe cause the issue.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back.

Thanks!

Best Regards

Elytis Cheng

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Apologies for the late reply.

Just to confirm, there were no problems with any of the GPOs I had configured. After investigating the problem further, there appeared to be a large number of problematic wireless access points. These have since been replaced/upgraded and problems have disappeared.

Thank you for your assistance, this support request can now be closed.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi

Here is a good post about how to setup roaming profiles in general:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/best-practice-roaming-profiles-and-folder-redirection-a-k-a-user-virtualization/

Problem with desktop redirection is usually that user is logged in before policy is applied for example drive mapping.

Best regards, Mark. | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

I’d like to confirm if the same users logon the wired desktop, the Desktop Redirect normally.

Please try to collect more information for further analyze.

Collect GPMC log

==============

1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Event log

==============

1. Click "Start", click “Run”, input "eventvwr" and press Enter.

2. Expand the "Windows Logs" node on the left pane, right-click on "System" and click "Save All Events As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "sys" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

3. Expand the “Applications and Services Logs”. Click the arrow next to Microsoft, and then Windows, and then Group Policy/Folder Redirection. Click Operational. Click "Save All Events As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "policy" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

4. Locate the three saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

Collect gpresult output

==============

1. Run the command gpresult /v >C:\gpresult.txt.

2. Upload the C:\gpresult.txt to the workspace.

please contact me with my account: v-xchen@microsoft.com to get a workspace to upload the information.

As there are too many thread, please post the thread link in the email. Thanks for your understanding!

Hope this helps!

• Edited by Elytis Cheng Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:22 AM
  • I have collected the information you've requested and sent you an e-mail. I await further instructions, thank you!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have created a workspace for you and the password was sent to your mail box, please note to check.

Thanks!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

From the GPMC.log, I’d like to confirm the Folder Redirection policy settings is configured in Curric GPO.

Please try to select Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop and Move the contents of Desktop to the new location check boxes first. For details: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

I also found that: Folder Redirection failed due to the error listed below. Cannot complete this function.

With the gpresult.log, I found that the Curric GPO is not applied:

Applied Group Policy Objects

-----------------------------

N/A

To work around these problems, split the policy into smaller policies. Make sure that the total size of each policy file is smaller than the 32,767 character limit.

Please also make sure network is smooth

There are some related articles for your reference:

Errors when you have a large "Folder Redirection" policy settings file in Windows Vista, in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Troubleshooting Group Policy Using Event Logs

A test case for troubleshooting group policy application – Event ID 1085 and 7016 - Ask the Directory Services Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Hope this helps!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop and Move the contents of Desktop to the new location are unticked. Why should I enable these? I've had these policies unticked ever since Windows 2000/XP.

How do I verify the policies are below the 32,767 character limit?

Just to confirm, I'm not using Advanced settings on Desktop Folder Redirection, only basic Desktop Folder Redirection\\SERVERNAME\SHARE\Desktop for all users.

Many thanks!

Edit: I located a file called fdeploy.ini which contains all the Folder Redirection info. I copied/pasted this into MS Word and it came back with:

2,162 Characters (with spaces), so clearly this is well within the 32K limit.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Researching the problem some more, I came across this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2561285

I've applied for the hotfix to see if this fixes some or all of the issues.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Could you please tell us the present situation?

Please try to disable ths policy Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

If the issue persist, please create a new GPO and link a new OU to configure only folder redirection to test if it is normal. If the situation is normal, wireless network maybe cause the issue.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back.

Thanks!

Best Regards

Elytis Cheng

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Apologies for the late reply.

Just to confirm, there were no problems with any of the GPOs I had configured. After investigating the problem further, there appeared to be a large number of problematic wireless access points. These have since been replaced/upgraded and problems have disappeared.

Thank you for your assistance, this support request can now be closed.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:24 PM