none
Selecting multiple scopes in advanced search issue. RRS feed

• Question

• In the sharepoint advanced search box you can enable scope selection. If you do this, you get a list of checkboxes for each scope. If you select more than one, the query has something like (scope:"A" OR scope:"B"). The problem is the query doesn't give results that are in either scope. Rather, it gives results that are in both scopes. In other words, the query has an OR, but it acts like an AND.

Has anyone else run into this and found a way to get it to work like an OR?

Friday, September 3, 2010 12:24 PM

Answers

• This is expected behavior. This is a functional difference between the standard SharePoint Server search and FAST Search for SharePoint. If you select multiple scopes in a query, the scope conditions will be ANDed.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:29 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue :-(
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:55 AM
  • This is expected behavior. This is a functional difference between the standard SharePoint Server search and FAST Search for SharePoint. If you select multiple scopes in a query, the scope conditions will be ANDed.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:29 AM
  • I'm not disagreeing with you but...

This seems like a stupid expected behavior. I can see if checking both boxes produced a query with an AND, but creating a query with an OR in it should not result in the query performing an AND operation.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:58 PM
  • If you capture the FQL using the FAST Query Logger, you'll see that the OR in the KQL becomes a literal string "or" in the FQL. That's definitely a bug with the biz logic that transforms the KQL into FQL.

Thanks, -Erkan

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:13 PM