none
Question about POP and IMAP

Question

• Hi guys, first of all, please excuse my poor english.

I've Exchange 2013 running over Windows 2008 Server R2. It's working fine using OWA but until today, there wasn't an user that request me the parameters to configure an email client. I repeat: until today.

This morning I've configured via ECP the access for both POP and IMAP protocols and it looks fine, however when I do a telnet to my email server using ports 110 or 143, for some reason it redirects me to ports 993 and 995 (by the way, in my server setting I've plain text logon, I didn't set Secure TLS logon)

When I try to connect via Telnet, instead the "welcome" message, I got this: -ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server X.X.X.X:995, SSL_connect error 10054

Can anyone help me? I'm little bit newbie using Exchange.

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:22 PM

All replies

• Ok, now it's working. For some reason, the components "Imapproxy" and "Popproxy" were disabled. Just enabled it and now all my email clients are working again. But NOW I've another problem, configuring my email clients, doing a Telnet to my server port 25 I got this: 

421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server X.X.X.X:465, SSL_connect error 336031996

But, when i do a Telnet directly to 465 port, I got  this: 

220 Correo Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Thu, 9 Feb 2017
    7 14:17:57 -0600
    EHLO
    250-Exchange Hello [X.X.X.X]
    250-SIZE 36700160
    250-PIPELINING
    250-DSN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-STARTTLS
    250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS
    250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM
    250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM
    250-8BITMIME
    250-BINARYMIME
    250-CHUNKING
    250-XEXCH50
    250-XRDST
    250 XSHADOWREQUEST

It supports TLS but when I configure my clients using TLS and 465 port in SMTP settings, I can't send mails... 

Any ideaS?

Thanks.

• Edited by cecuevasp Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:39 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:35 PM

• It supports TLS but when I configure my clients using TLS and 465 port in SMTP settings, I can't send mails... 

Any ideaS?

Thanks.

Hi,

Do you mean you receive the error message like this when doing telnet?

530 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM

If yes, then it's normal by default. It indicates that user mailbox doesn't have the permission to send message on receive connector. So please check the permission configuration on "Client Proxy" receive connector on Exchange 2013 Mailbox server. Make sure 'Anonymous users' is checked.

Then it will be OK to send messages via Telnet.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Is my suggestion above helpful for you?

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 10:04 AM