Altering the Windows 7 Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, my new Windows 7 Start Menu is in factory order, for the most part. Programs are listed by name,or by folder name, or by Windows ...., or by Microsoft...., and so forth. I would like to completely rearrange the display, such that my 'Pin to Start Menu' programs show up on the initial display, and when I say 'All Programs', what I see are clusters -- these programs filed under a top level of 'Media',for example; those programs filed under a top level of 'Writing', still others under a top level of 'Tools', or 'Accessories', or 'Games'. In that example, clicking All Programs would give me five folders - Accessories, Games, Media, Tools, and Writing. Clicking each of those would allow me to drill down into all of my Accessory programs, or all of my Games, and so forth. In XP, I did this by manually rearranging the Start Menu under my User ID. I'm not sure if that's an option in Win7. So far as I can see, the only options are to a) sort by name or b)sort by some other criteria that's not apparent to me. I can't pick and choose to make it look the way that works best for me. Is such possible? Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:21 AM

Answers

• You are free to create your own folders within the Start menu and move the icons into them as you wish.  However, the folders will always be sorted alphabetically.

Windows shell intends you to use the "all programs" menu as a rarely-accessed full-catalog of every possible application, but that you'll rarely use it because you have pinned the ones you use to your Start menu and/or Taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, February 4, 2011 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:44 AM
  • when I say 'All Programs', what I see are clusters -- these programs filed under a top level of 'Media',for example; those programs filed under a top level of 'Writing', still others under a top level of 'Tools', or 'Accessories', or 'Games'. In that example, clicking All Programs would give me five folders - Accessories, Games, Media, Tools, and Writing. Clicking each of those would allow me to drill down into all of my Accessory programs, or all of my Games, and so forth. In XP, I did this by manually rearranging the Start Menu under my User ID.

As Shawn said, you can create your own folders in the Start Menu and add shortcuts to them. It's similar to how you did it in XP.

Here is a guide on how to do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/296-start-menu-all-programs-add-delete-shortcuts.html

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, February 4, 2011 9:25 AM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:23 AM

All replies

• The positions cannot be moved.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:52 AM
  • You are free to create your own folders within the Start menu and move the icons into them as you wish.  However, the folders will always be sorted alphabetically.

Windows shell intends you to use the "all programs" menu as a rarely-accessed full-catalog of every possible application, but that you'll rarely use it because you have pinned the ones you use to your Start menu and/or Taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, February 4, 2011 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:44 AM
  • when I say 'All Programs', what I see are clusters -- these programs filed under a top level of 'Media',for example; those programs filed under a top level of 'Writing', still others under a top level of 'Tools', or 'Accessories', or 'Games'. In that example, clicking All Programs would give me five folders - Accessories, Games, Media, Tools, and Writing. Clicking each of those would allow me to drill down into all of my Accessory programs, or all of my Games, and so forth. In XP, I did this by manually rearranging the Start Menu under my User ID.

As Shawn said, you can create your own folders in the Start Menu and add shortcuts to them. It's similar to how you did it in XP.

Here is a guide on how to do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/296-start-menu-all-programs-add-delete-shortcuts.html

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, February 4, 2011 9:25 AM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:23 AM