none
DPM 2010 - Backup to tape failed RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured a protection group both short term backup to disk everyday and Long term backup to tape every Saturday. The backup to tape is running and completed on Saturday with no errors.

Under the Recovery tab, I checked the protected group and they all have recovery points from both disk and tape. Under the Monitoring tab, Jobs status shown Satruday's job a green check mark - Completed - Tape backup.

However, in the Administrator Console/Protection, the protection status of that particular group shows a red "Backup to tape failed". Details of error said cannot find a valid recovery point. Furthermore, I manual ran "create recovery point" for each item on the protection group, all successful and gave me a green OK. Then I kick off the Tape backup, and DPM won't backup the items and listed it again "Backup to tape failed".

Did anyone have this experience?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:53 AM Moving to DPM Tape Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What are the details of the failed tape backup job ?

Please look under the Monitoring - alerts tab for the "backup to tape failed" alert and look at the details link for more details why it failed.  You can also look at actual failed tape backup job.  Once you clear the alert, the status should return to green - then monitor for future job failures. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What are the details of the failed tape backup job ?

Please look under the Monitoring - alerts tab for the "backup to tape failed" alert and look at the details link for more details why it failed.  You can also look at actual failed tape backup job.  Once you clear the alert, the status should return to green - then monitor for future job failures. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Please reopen the thread, when you report the detailed error. Usually the backup failed error alert covers the cause of the failure. 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:08 PM