WIFI connected but can't access Internet RRS feed

• Question

• In some locations I can't get Internet access with my WIFI Laptop.

I log on to the wireless network and get connected.

I get message "Limited or no Connectivity"

I try to repair the connection and seem to hang up "can't refresh IP address"

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi mshack60,

Please confirm if the Windows Vista machine can successfully obtain IP address from the wireless Router. If not, please refer to the following KB article for troubleshooting:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

If it can obtain IP address from the wireless Router, please export the Windows IP Configuration by using the command ipconfig /all for further research.

Hope it helps.

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:13 AM
  • This is not a Vista machine but XP Media Edition. I have no problem connecting in most places, However, on some occations it just won't allow the Internet connection, giving me the limited or no connection message.

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Hi mshack60,

Please understand that this forum mainly focuses on Windows Vista related issues. For the issues regarding Windows XP, I suggest submitting them in our Windows XP Newsgroup. The support professionals there are better equipped to assist you. Thank you for the understanding and cooperation.

For your convenience, I’ve included the link of Windows XP Newsgroup:

Windows XP Newsgroup
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you for your understanding.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 9:32 AM
  • - It is not the computer or the driver, might be your adapter so buy another -

Problem exists when Linksys-cisco white boxes are seen on the walls of the location you are located for Guest usage to connect to the Internet, you cannot reach them nor should you try. In using a cisco USB device which is what is mainly understood by those wall units, a invalid security certificate is seen by your laptop or your desktop computer, however the adapter does not seek a certificate for a Web-Authenticated connection which requires your acceptance of their agreement (Cisco Systems Inc., Organization Unit (OU) DeviceSSL (WebAuth) having a Public Key Algorithm) knowing full well they have the right to monitor every bit of traffic coming and going (INTERNET TRAFFIC IS ROUTINELY MONITORED AND LOGGED) you are at risk somewhat of being disconnected by their Wireless Acceptable Use Policy (a PDF you can save to your HDD if you so desire to know what it says to you). The adapter will show you all the networks you can connect to and the only one choice you have is Guest cause all others require a password to gain access being (WPA2). To accept their terms you click Accept and see "Connection Successful" (You can now use all our regular network services over the wireless network.). However sometimes you can see this connection is untrusted giving you three choices (1) Get me out of here! (2) Technical Details (3) I Understand the Risks. Select number three and then click "Add Exception" that is when you must accept the certificate so put a check mark in the box "Permanently store this exception" and click Confirm Security Exception. If you want to view the certificate you can. That is how I have to manage it at a medical facility and college cause they have a cisco wireless system.

• Edited by Charles Michael Jones Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:03 AM spelling and a return extra line addition
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:01 AM
  • - Use the browser to get to their login webpage, your done -
    When I saw the login webpage I knew right then all I need to do is to save the bookmark of that login page and I did but also I noticed that my drag down URL box shows these two pages for logging in which I can also use when on site for their wireless connection, I simply pull out my USB Hub and connect the cisco adapter to the Hub and click the Firefox browser link and click Accept and I am shown I can now use their services which amounts to nothing connected to them directly else they have to send me a email i they want to talk to me and they don't know my email. The computer wireless built-in aill connect to the wireless but not the Internet without having access to the webpage you can't login cause you do not know their secure server address to get to that page and many people there do not know what your talking about, they all say we have the same problem so we do not connect.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:14 AM
  • - Be good, Santa Claus is coming soon -
    You know when cellphones gained Internet Access and email support or messenger support it collided with computers gaining Internet Access so someone decided that the best way for them to diagnose what was being connected was using a browser login webpage for everyone desiring Internet access. Bookmark that webpage you find out which is their wireless login page when your in range of their Cisco Systems, Inc. product hung on their hallways. Darn complicated if you ask me to explain to people there seeking the way to go about it. AT&T phones work well with cisco and I do not know what other phones can. Good Luck on your Internet usage.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:21 AM