none
SBS 2011 Backup failing insufficient space - error code 2155348249

Question

•  

Hi,

I have a new SBS 2011 installation that has started to have problems with backups. I have an iSCSI target on a NAS that has been configured as a backup target using the 'Configure Server Backup' wizard.  This worked ok when setup, but after transferring the server and nas to the office, it has started to fail with the following message.

There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location. Make sure that, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. For the optimal experience, we recommend at least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume being backed up.
    There is not enough space on the disk

The corresponding error message in event viewer is....

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎08‎-‎23T14:57:00.257000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Server has 500Gb primary hard drive formatted as a 465Gb partition.  It is currently 23% full. 

The NAs has an iSCSI volume of 1000 GBytes.  The backup was configured to use the entire iSCSI disk.  The iSCSI volume does not have a drive letter.

This worked ok for a number of days (7 backups in total).  After moving to whole lot to the new office, the server starts ok, people have joined the domain and the iSCSI volume is being connected ok, BUT the backups are failing. Thinking that the iSCSI volume was full (although I read the ideal size to backup a 500GB drive is 750GB), i added a new iSCSI drive of 2000GB and tried again.  Same message.

This is basically a new SBS 2011 install.  I think the backup problems started before any workstations were introduced into the domain and exchange still ishn't being used yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Justin.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Second approach

move the diff area for the shadow copies from the system reserved partition to C Drive.  As you gave system reserved partition drive letter S: so command will look like vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=S: /On=C: /MaxSize=1000MB.

Remove the drive letter for system partition .Reboot the server and try backup again.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:45 AM

All replies

• I made some progress and have found another message in the event viewer.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account spsearch with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key.

Operation:
       Initializing Writer

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Name: Registry Writer

Error-specific details:
       Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(spsearch), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist.

This occured just before the server was moved.  Could this be the cause?

I have no idea at this point how to fix it.

regards

Justin.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Can you provide a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc.? Event that you have mentioned is irrelevant and has nothing to do with backup failure.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:28 PM
  • diskmgmt.msc screenshot it at the bottom.

LOVEBACKUP is the first iSCSI backup target volume.  LBBACKUP is the one I created just in case the iSCSI volume size was the problem.  Since releasing the original iSCSI volume from the backup configuration it has been given a drive letter.  E drive didn't exist previously.

Current backup configuration is

diskmgmt.msc screenhot.. (disk 2 and 3 are the iSCSI volumes. Disk1 is an internal HD mirror pair that hasn't been utilised yet)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Please provide the  output of vssadmin list shadowstorage from admin command prompt.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hello Justin - you can ignore the error.

Try "vssadmin list writers", and look for errors ("Last Error"). Has the server had Sharepoint SP1 applied, but you haven't run the psconfig update?

Neil.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:16 AM
  • WiggyWoo

My assumption is backup does not fails at preparing shadow copy preparation

"There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location. Make sure that, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. For the optimal experience, we recommend at least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume being backed up.There is not enough space on the disk"

This is probably failing at ASR writer where it sees the system reserved partition which is not "labeled" plus the shadow copy on reserved partition need to be moved to a different place to get this at least started.

Any further ideas are most welcomed although the point you have suggested is worth to go ahead with.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:10 AM
  • The output from the vssadmin reports are below...  I removed the class id's from the second output.

re Sharepoint SP1, i dont think it is installed.  I get this list of patches and upgrades...

LOVEBOAT Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010   Installed
    LOVEBOAT
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010
    14.0.4763.1000 Installed
    LOVEBOAT
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 1033 Lang Pack
    14.0.4763.1000 Installed
    LOVEBOAT
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Core
    14.0.4763.1000 Installed
    LOVEBOAT
    Update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 (KB2032588)
    14.0.5050.5002 Installed

I ran the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard and then tried the backup again with the same error message.

When I opened the Sharepoint command line, I got this message...when the dialog opened and before the command prompt.

The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered.

However, when I opened the management shell the correct with (right click-run as administrator).  I didn't get the message.

i tried to run psconfig update but got an error saying it is not a valid command.  Did you mean upgrade?

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
       For volume: (\\?\Volume{89eab6d5-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\)\\?\Volume{89eab6d5-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (\\?\Volume{89eab6d5-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\)\\?\Volume{89eab6d5-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.016 MB (2%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 32 MB (32%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 32 MB (32%)

For volume: (E:)\\?\Volume{a5641dd5-c03b-11e0-b328-00259018fe1d}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (E:)\\?\Volume{a5641dd5-c03b-11e0-b328-00259018fe1d}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 6.005 GB (0%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 8.919 GB (0%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED (1718020473%)

For volume: (\\?\Volume{d54ca7fc-cdfa-11e0-aab6-00259018fe1d}\)\\?\Volume{d54ca7fc-cdfa-11e0-aab6-00259018fe1d}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (\\?\Volume{d54ca7fc-cdfa-11e0-aab6-00259018fe1d}\)\\?\Volume{d54ca7fc-cdfa-11e0-aab6-00259018fe1d}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B (0%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B (0%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED (859001847%)

For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{89eab6d6-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{89eab6d6-c023-11e0-a304-806e6f6e6963}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 17.212 GB (3%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 17.604 GB (3%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 46.565 GB (9%)

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list writers

Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error

Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'

Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'

Writer name: 'System Writer'
       State: [7] Failed
       Last error: Timed out

Writer name: 'SharePoint Services Writer'

Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'

Writer name: 'FSRM Writer'

Writer name: 'FRS Writer'

Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'

Writer name: 'BITS Writer'

Writer name: 'IIS Config Writer'

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'

Writer name: 'Dhcp Jet Writer'

Writer name: 'Certificate Authority'

Writer name: 'NPS VSS Writer'

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'

Writer name: 'TS Gateway Writer'

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'

Writer name: 'IIS Metabase Writer'

Writer name: 'SPSearch4 VSS Writer'

Writer name: 'NTDS'

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:41 PM
  • i doubt that it matters, but I can complete a manual backup of the Sharepoint farm using the web based tools.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:51 PM
  • There are two approach to resolve this issue . I would recommend if you can try the first the apporoach

The system reserved partition  (100 MB) had some files from which are  taking up the space. You are not allowed to keep any data in the system reserved volume. You should not have anything else than the files below

$RECYCLE.BIN
    Boot
    bootmgr
    BOOTSECT.BAK
    System Volume Information
                   2 File(s)        391,754 bytes
                   3 Dir(s)      73,777,152 bytes free

1. Give a drive letter to the System reserved partition
    2. Open a Command prompt with Administrative privileges
    3. CD into the drive and try dir /a
    4. Locate the unwanted folders and move them or delete them out of the system reserved partition.  Please ensure DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT IS SIMILAR TO THE 5 FILES I have MENTIONED ABOVE otherwise it will cause a no boot situation.
    5. Try a WBAdmin system state backup.
    6. If successful , Remove the Drive letter from the system reserved partition.
    If this approach does not work let me know.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:37 PM
  • The system partition contained the following..

S:\>dir /a
     Volume in drive S is System Reserved
     Volume Serial Number is 8698-2782

Directory of S:\

07/08/2011  03:28 PM    <DIR>          Boot
    14/07/2009  11:08 AM           383,562 bootmgr
    07/08/2011  03:28 PM             8,192 BOOTSECT.BAK
    10/08/2011  12:00 PM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
                   2 File(s)        391,754 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)       6,078,464 bytes free

S:\>

I ran the systemstatebackup command and got the following..

C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:B:
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Starting to back up the system state [25/08/2011 11:35 AM]...
    Retrieving volume information...
    This will back up the system state from volume(s) System Reserved(S:),Local Disk(C:) to B:.
    Do you want to start the backup operation?
    [Y] Yes [N] No y

Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Summary of the backup operation:
    ------------------

The backup of the system state failed [25/08/2011 11:35 AM].
    Log of files successfully backed up:
    C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup-25-08-2011_11-35-47.log

Log of files for which backup failed:
    C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup_Error-25-08-2011_11-35-47.log

There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location. Make sure that, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volumes included in the backup.
    Minimum requirement: For volumes less than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 50 megabytes of free space. For volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space.
    Recommended: At least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume if volume size is more than 1 gigabyte.
    There is not enough space on the disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

Strangely ( to me at least ) the log files dont exists unless they are embedded in the .etl files .

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Second approach

move the diff area for the shadow copies from the system reserved partition to C Drive.  As you gave system reserved partition drive letter S: so command will look like vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=S: /On=C: /MaxSize=1000MB.

Remove the drive letter for system partition .Reboot the server and try backup again.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:45 AM
  • I tried changing the location of the shadowstorage f.

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=S: /On=C: /MaxSize=1000MB

Error: Maximum number of shadow copy storage associations already reached.

C:\Windows\system32>

I tried deleting the shadowstorage to then add it but I couldn't as the volume was in use.

I tried doing it as well through the shadow copy dialog and got a message that it cant be changed whilst in use.

the system parition does seem to be full.  My listing has 6mb free.  The other example above has way more free.  Where is this space being used and how can I free it up?

I also rebooted the server just in case. But still no luck.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:56 PM
  • 6 mb is what i see from the picture what you provided earlier, is certainly is an issue here. It has to be at least 40mb free by design. You can try deleting the shadow storage copies by booting in WinRE, if it does not allows you to delete in GUI mode.

Alternatively you can delete the catalog by wbadmin delete catalog but you will have to reconfigure backup after the reboot once this is done. Make sure after reboot free space on system reserved is at least 40% after reboot otherwise it will again fail.

Try the above two methods and let me know.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:44 PM
  • So far I have been using the SBS Standard Console.

I just tried using the Windows Server Backup program directly.    I have started to backup the C: which seems to be working.  It is currenty doing a Exchange consistency check. [ edit ] It finished fine.

Out of interest, the Configure Shadow Configuration says that the minimum shadow storage space is 320GB.  I think it was originally set to much lower than this.  In trying to fix the backup problem, I changed the storage space to unlimited.  Now the dialog wont let me change it back to below 320Mb.  I find that strange for a 100Mb partition.

I could change the shadow storage size of the system partition to lower if I did so through the vssadmin command.  Although I am not sure what size it should be.  It had currently allocated size of 32Mb so I set the max to that as well.  it was using 2Mb of that.

System Partition

It looks like there are some extra hidden files taking up a lot of space in the system partition. 

A dir /a /S shows files totalling 14 Megabytes and only 6MB Free. 

That means there is 80Mb of something else.  The VSSADMIN command shows an allocated storage area of 32MB and only 2.5 Mb of that used.

How can I fnd out what is taking up this space?    More of a concern is how this happened in the first place.  The server is hardly being used.  The only thing I have installed is the BitDefender server AV products for SBS.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:08 PM
  • ok thanks, I will try it will have to wait until the office closes. 

I will go for the deleting catalog first as I am accessing the server remotely at the moment.

Friday, August 26, 2011 3:19 AM
  • I removed the driver letter, deleted the catalog and then rebooted.  The free space stayed at 6 Mb. 

I will try the WinRE method tomorrow morning,

Friday, August 26, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Also try vssadmin delete shadows command from  winre.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 11:07 AM
  • been sick so todays the day!
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Well it was certainly interesting.

I tried the WinRE but the vssaadmin command wasn't available.

Google told me about the commands diskpart and diskshadow.   I used these once I had booted back into windows normally.

When listing the state of the shadow copies I found that the System Reserved Parition's (SRP) shadow copy was in an inconsistent state, which causes the command showing the status of all shadow copies crap out.

I cant exactly remember which commands I used, but here is a rought idea.  Please look up the exacty commands and before entering just in case I got them wrong.

Using diskshadow list shadows, I saw that the SRP had two shadow copies.  I exposed the SRP's shadow copies as a drive letter so I could check that I had the correct one.  ( DISKSHADOW> expose id {...} p:  )

I then deleted the shadow copies using the option to delete the one exposed as a drive letter (that was a just in case move).

I then rebooted and found that my SRP now had more free space (dir /a after assigning to a drive letter), but still not enough to do a backup.

I removed the $Recycle.Bin dir from the SRP although this only had a few bytes in it.

BUT, all this has put my SRP's shadow storage status back to normal.  So I assigned the SRP to drive S: and used vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=S: /On=B: /MaxSize=300MB to give it some storage on another drive.  This command had previously failed.  

Now the backup is working fine. 

A big thankyou to Mohitkapoor for steering my in the right direction.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Hi ,

I’m so glad to know that you have fixed the problem on your end. Congratulations!

Thanks for your time and sharing.

Regards,

Mohit
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Hi, would seriously love to get a more detailed guide on how to resolve this matter if possible, thanks!
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Are you getting the exact same symptoms and errors as mentioned in this post? If yes ,go through the entire post and let me know at which step you are experiencing problem with.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thank you - this worked for me! Was scratching my head for hours on this one!
    Sunday, May 1, 2016 5:07 PM