none
MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM ID 355 Cannot be removed from the storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to migrate our datasources to another (new) disk array.  Our current storage is 8TB and is full, we've purchased a new 24TB disk array.

I followed the steps here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/06/22/how-to-use-the-migratedatasourcedatafromdpm-ps1-dpm-powershell-script-to-move-data.aspx

1. Added the new DAS into DPM
    2. Output of Get-DPMDisk:

Name          Status            NtDiskId Total Capaci Unallocated  Type
                                                         ty        Space
      ----          ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
      DELL PERC ... Healthy                  1      8377 GB       669 GB Dynamic
      DELL PERC ... Healthy                  2     24212 GB     24212 GB Dynamic
    3. Ran the following command: .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName DPM -Source $disk[0] -Destination $disk[1]
    4. Got the following output:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName DPM -Source $disk[0] -Destination $disk[1]
      WARNING:  Migration of inactive protection group is not supported
      Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it contains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
      At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110
      char:16
      +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
          + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE
         xception
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
         Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

Now, I understand the reason for the:
    I have 7 servers which are inactive, that's fine.

However, I wanted to make sure the next error (as shown above) is nothing to be concerned about:

Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it contains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110
    char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

Is this simply telling me the old datasource cannot be removed because;
    A) There is still inactive data on the old (original) disk array?, OR,
    B) The disk cannot be removed at this point in time because the original data has not yet expired, OR
    C) Something else?

Should I re-run the script?  Remove the inactive data?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Keeping in mind I'm new to DPM, so go easy!
    We're running Data Protection Manager 2010 (3.0.7696.0) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit, and it's only used to protect Hyper-V VMs.

Thanks
    Matt

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:42 AM Moving to DPM Storage Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:15 AM

Answers

• Hey Matt,

First, check if everything is fine now and moved to the new DPM disk

Second: Yes, the script wants to remove the DPM disk from the DPM server but fails because it still contains information

If you have checked that the data is on the new disk, then remove the inactive protection data, or just wait until its retention is over and then remove the disk

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Hi Matt112,

First, your data belonging to Inactive data sources may never expire automatically since pruning does not run for Inactive data sources.

Second, even if you remove protection of all the Inactive data sources, the disk will not be removed from the storage pool automatically. You will have to manually remove it.

Thanks,

-fahd

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hey Matt,

First, check if everything is fine now and moved to the new DPM disk

Second: Yes, the script wants to remove the DPM disk from the DPM server but fails because it still contains information

If you have checked that the data is on the new disk, then remove the inactive protection data, or just wait until its retention is over and then remove the disk

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your response.

The old disk still lists the inactive protection data, but the active protection data is now listed on the new disk... So I guess everything is fine.
    Is this the best indication, or is there another way to check?

Also, what is the expected outcome when the data has expired; will DPM automatically remove the old disk?

Regards,
    Matt

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Hi Matt112,

First, your data belonging to Inactive data sources may never expire automatically since pruning does not run for Inactive data sources.

Second, even if you remove protection of all the Inactive data sources, the disk will not be removed from the storage pool automatically. You will have to manually remove it.

Thanks,

-fahd

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Hi Fahd,

Thanks for your help.

I removed the inactive data, however the original data has not expired yet - I'm guessing I should wait until this time if I want the data available?

Also, does the Unallocated space increase as the data expires or I do simply wait the retention period (In this case 14 days).

Many thanks

Matt

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Hi, 

I am closing this thread. If your problem does not gets solved, feel free to reopen the thread(unmark proposed solution). 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:33 AM