PC restarts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have  PC running XP Pro  that will resart all on its own..... All  I get is the old "do you wnat to send to Microsoft"  when this seems to be all  you have to go on, is it worth going down the avenue of trying to use .DMP files to give you more detail? it looks likethis entails usig nthe Microsoft drive kit and using debuggers and all that . I am not a trained developer......

is this my only option to get to the bottom of these "mystery restart' issue this PC has ?  

thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• There can literally be hundreds of reasons why your computer is restarting.  First you have to figure out if it's a hardware issue or software (windows or some program on it)  

If it's hardware, it might be bad capacitors on the motherboard, bad RAM, overheating CPU, Failing power supply or any other component in your system.  The ones  I listed are usually the biggest culprits. 

If it's not hardware, then you have to figure out if Window is having an issue or some program on it is causing the restarts.

The bottom line is unless you have a Blue Screen message or something like Windows Logs it's really a shot in the dark.

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I forgot to mention that we do go through the event logs so,  yes that is one more place to find details ....

still looking to see if debugging  DMP files would be a normal trobleshooting endevor  to be used by desktop support technicians... 

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:25 PM
  • It can definitely help to look over them and see if you find any specifics.

If you are unsure how to open them, follow this link: http://www.listikal.com/how-to-open-windows-dump-dmp-files/ 

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:38 PM