Block access to Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a group policy setting to remove all access to windows explorer.  Currently users can right click on start and explore the contents of the C drive.  I would like to completely block the use of windows explorer all together.

Monday, December 7, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,
     Windows Explorer is also the primary desktop shell so removing it altogether (while possible) will create a lot of side effects that are usually not desirable. However, you can easily disable various features of Windows Explorer using GPOs and/or registry keys. I would suggest starting by checking out the policies under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer and User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar.

As an example, you can prevent browsing for drives by using the 'Hide these specified drives in My Computer' from the first location and prevent right clicking on start menu at all by renaming the following registry keys: HCR\Directory\shell, HCR\Folder\shell which can be accomplished using Group Policy Preferences or a script. 

Thanks,
    Guy
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, December 11, 2009 6:47 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,
     Windows Explorer is also the primary desktop shell so removing it altogether (while possible) will create a lot of side effects that are usually not desirable. However, you can easily disable various features of Windows Explorer using GPOs and/or registry keys. I would suggest starting by checking out the policies under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer and User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar.

As an example, you can prevent browsing for drives by using the 'Hide these specified drives in My Computer' from the first location and prevent right clicking on start menu at all by renaming the following registry keys: HCR\Directory\shell, HCR\Folder\shell which can be accomplished using Group Policy Preferences or a script. 

Thanks,
    Guy
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, December 11, 2009 6:47 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hello,

I too have this requirement, I have configured these polciies, within Windows it works fine.

But I have a 3rd party application and from within this application I have the option to generate reports and save and while saving I could access c, d drive. Also right click, "open a new windows" then go to all the tools. How can I prevent this?

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:46 AM