Change the name of the dimension RRS feed

Answers

• I've read your other posts in the SQL forum,

It seems that you are wanting to control the dimension names in specific areas of the Designer product.

What do you really want? -

1. Do you want the Designer user to see a specific name in the available items on the Details panel?
    2. Do you want the end-user to see a specific name in a column on an Analytic Grid?
    3. Or do you want the end-user to see a specific name in the 'Show Details' pop-up display when they right-click on a grid or analytical grid/chart?

For 1. If your cube is made from a PPS Planning model, you can change the ALIAS name of a dimension when you add it to a model using 'Manage Model dimensions. this way you can keep the original dimension name, but change it only when it is added to a model (or cube). This is very tricky, because you will also need to edit all model business rules and Process Forms which may refer to the dimension or member set names changing the old name to the new alias. You will also need to edit all the Analytical Grids, Charts and KPI mappings in Dashboard Designer because they store the old dimension names in their XML definitions. It is a serious change!! If you have to edit the model properties, you may even lose your data (if the dimension sets change) You could try making a member view, with a nice name. This view can be used in Designer to select members.

When the names are changed, redeploy the model. Now when ever the model is processed it will use the new name.

For 2: The column names are controlled by the MDX query and are usually derived from the data. So it should not be a problem.

For 3. The Show details function is a default operation in an analytic Grid or chart. You can defined your own 'Show Details' as an 'Additional Action' by editing the analysis cube in VS and adding a new Drillthrough action to the relevant Measure group. You then select the columns which you want to display from each dimension. If you have two columns with the SAME name, e.g. MemberId, then it will automatically prefix the dimension name (or alias) when it displays to the use. So if possible try to use different column names, otherwise you will need to rename column names and then you have all the same problems with business rtules and chart definitions 

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

You might be able to do this by changing the hierarchy unique name style property of the dimension to ExcludeDimensionName.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174900.aspx

cheers,

Andrew

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:52 PM
  •  

Hi,

I set the properties in VS. But the changes are lost evrytime the cube is redeployed.

In my project a job is created to redeploy the cube evryday.

Cn i ve a alternative 4 tis.

Or is tere a way 2 automate tis process of changing the properties in VS after the cube is deployed evrytime.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

can i knw anyother solution..

very urgent.... to change the name of the dimesion

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:12 AM
  • Which property are you setting in the VS. I suppose your Daily Job is only processing the cube and deploying it thats why your changes are getting lost..

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:18 AM
  •  

Im setting Exclude dimension property in VS.

Yes my daily job is processing only the cube. Can i knw how to process the VS also everyday

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:26 AM
  • After you set this property deploy your solution and let me knw if your changes gets reflected in the report. Then next time the daily job if it is only set to process will not change this property..

Regards,

Rohit

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  

Hi,

The cube is re-deployed as well.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:37 AM
  • Could you please first tell me are you able to get your solution after making the properties changes before next day job processing?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:09 AM
  •  

Hi,

it is not working

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:29 PM
  • I've read your other posts in the SQL forum,

It seems that you are wanting to control the dimension names in specific areas of the Designer product.

What do you really want? -

1. Do you want the Designer user to see a specific name in the available items on the Details panel?
    2. Do you want the end-user to see a specific name in a column on an Analytic Grid?
    3. Or do you want the end-user to see a specific name in the 'Show Details' pop-up display when they right-click on a grid or analytical grid/chart?

For 1. If your cube is made from a PPS Planning model, you can change the ALIAS name of a dimension when you add it to a model using 'Manage Model dimensions. this way you can keep the original dimension name, but change it only when it is added to a model (or cube). This is very tricky, because you will also need to edit all model business rules and Process Forms which may refer to the dimension or member set names changing the old name to the new alias. You will also need to edit all the Analytical Grids, Charts and KPI mappings in Dashboard Designer because they store the old dimension names in their XML definitions. It is a serious change!! If you have to edit the model properties, you may even lose your data (if the dimension sets change) You could try making a member view, with a nice name. This view can be used in Designer to select members.

When the names are changed, redeploy the model. Now when ever the model is processed it will use the new name.

For 2: The column names are controlled by the MDX query and are usually derived from the data. So it should not be a problem.

For 3. The Show details function is a default operation in an analytic Grid or chart. You can defined your own 'Show Details' as an 'Additional Action' by editing the analysis cube in VS and adding a new Drillthrough action to the relevant Measure group. You then select the columns which you want to display from each dimension. If you have two columns with the SAME name, e.g. MemberId, then it will automatically prefix the dimension name (or alias) when it displays to the use. So if possible try to use different column names, otherwise you will need to rename column names and then you have all the same problems with business rtules and chart definitions 

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:22 PM
  •  

Hi,

Problem:

I ve a dimension Demand n one of the attribute being DemandRaisedDate, when I drag n drop tis attribute on the rows of a grid report, it displays as Demand DemandRaisedDate, I want only DemandRaisedDate to be displayed for the end-user

I tried ur first solution by creating a dummy model. But of no use.The dimension name appears ven I drag n drop it in the report. I just want the attribute name to appear,as I ve told above.Member view as well.

or

can i change the attributes name using mdx query.If s can i ve a eg

or

In one of the posts, I was asked to change the properties of the dimension in VS to ExcludeDimension.But the changes are not getting reflected in the report n usually these changes(other changes i have done using VS) are also lost everytime the cube is redeployed.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Hi Mark,

If u culd help me out vit MDX it ll b of a grt help........

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:58 AM