Reg: Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an AD with interal DNS server hosted in my office. And my company website is hosted with outside service provider. We have squid proxy running for users and management is having direct internet access. When I am in the office I am not able to access our website. Through proxy I am able to access. Both internal DNS and website domain names are same. ( xyz.com ). When I tracert to the website, it reach upto internal DNS, the request doesn't go outside the network.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Tonio

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:15 AM

Answers

• Well... it depends where your CNAME points to, but for the sake of this example create an A record (www) that points to the external IP of your website. Your internal clients will have to put www at the beginning of the web address.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:08 AM

All replies

• Because both domains (internal and external) are the same you have the same DNS zone name, and when internal clients try to go to the website they find the DNS zone, but maybe you don't have an A record that point to the web server. Hope this make sense for you. Go on your internal DNS server and modify the A or CNAME record that points to your web server. If you don't have an A record on your internal DNS server, create one that points to the web server (the public IP).

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the mail. I am already having a CNAME. Should I remove this CNAME and add A record?

Thanks

George

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Well... it depends where your CNAME points to, but for the sake of this example create an A record (www) that points to the external IP of your website. Your internal clients will have to put www at the beginning of the web address.

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:08 AM