Installing SCE 2010 console on a different domain RRS feed

• Question

• We have an SCE 2010 server installed in our production domain and a remote console is running on another server in that domain.  I would like to install the console on my local laptop to use it whenever connecting to the domain via VPN to monitor/manage the servers out there.  I have followed the instructions to manyally install the necessary certificates, but am getting the following error when connecting to the SCE server from my new local console install.

Application Version: 7.0.2432.1
    Severity: Error
    Message: Failed to connect to server 'vault'.  Insufficient privileges

Aside from the certificates, i don't see anywhere to specify my domain credentials for the production domain.  All that is asked when connecting is the remote server name.  What am i missing here?  Is this configuration even possible?  thanks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• This might be the issue.  The new console install and SCE server are on different domains that are not trusted.  Is there no way to pass the proper domain credentials from the console to the SCE server?
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:54 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:38 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please ensure you installed the console in a trusted domain and check the settings referring to the following guide:

How to Install System Center Essentials 2010 Console on a Remote Computer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437322.aspx

Meanwhile, please use the administrator account of SCE to logon the computer and open the console.

If the issue persists, please also check the Event Log on the server and let us know the details if you find any related errors.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:49 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Installing the remote console in an untrusted domain is not supported. For more information, please also refer to:

Supported Topologies and Performance Guidance for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422797.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:54 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 2:58 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please ensure you installed the console in a trusted domain and check the settings referring to the following guide:

How to Install System Center Essentials 2010 Console on a Remote Computer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437322.aspx

Meanwhile, please use the administrator account of SCE to logon the computer and open the console.

If the issue persists, please also check the Event Log on the server and let us know the details if you find any related errors.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:49 AM
  • This might be the issue.  The new console install and SCE server are on different domains that are not trusted.  Is there no way to pass the proper domain credentials from the console to the SCE server?
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:38 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Installing the remote console in an untrusted domain is not supported. For more information, please also refer to:

Supported Topologies and Performance Guidance for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422797.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:54 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 2:58 AM