none
Windows10.0-KB4016635-x64.cab add-package to install.wim

Question

• Has anyone been able to slipstream this package into Windows 10, install.wim?

I get Error Code 0x8000ffff and not sure how to proceed.

Thank you,

Rich

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi rismoney,

I have tried to add that update package to install.wim but it failed with an error, too. But I got an error "0x800f0922".
    Please upload the dism log to OneDrive and paste the link here for more information to troubleshoot this issue.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Error Code 0x8000ffff

That's a something unexpected happened code but I don't know what the category is.

C.f.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#result-codes 

So, I would say you need to find out where it is issued for context.  Perhaps some of the diagnostics mentioned in that page will give you clues.  Otherwise, provided the error occurs in a single stage process I would try running ProcMon to capture the writes it is doing.  That would give whatever you do find some context and allow you to use any other trace events as potential supplementary clues.  Tip: Filter with Operation Is WriteFile and use the Count Occurrences tool to generate a list of all the files which had been written to as candidates for browsing.  Fortunately the path and filename usually give you sufficient clues to avoid looking at things that are unlikely to be logging.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 31, 2017 5:01 PM
  • I circumvented the issue and tried running dism on a Win10 workstation (was running it before on a win2016 server) and it worked.  I will try on another one, as the dism log was not very helpful.

The other thing that I have noticed, is that despite the patch showing up in ARP (installed updates), WSUS detects it as missing, and tries to reinstall it.

If I run wusa against the msu first after oobe phase, it reports in the setup event log it is already installed, installing, and then exits.  Then a subequent wsus checkin reports that the patch is properly installed and no longer tries to redistribute.  

My understanding, is that the patch after injection needs to initialize on first boot, but I am not sure what process triggers that.  This is accoding to this article, but I haven't seen something authoritative on the topic.

https://syscenramblings.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/windows-10-notes-from-the-field-qa/ 

Ideally I want the CU slipstreamed into the install.wim without intervention, or an understanding of what intervention (short of re-running the msu via a task) would initiate a "full CU install"

Saturday, April 01, 2017 12:18 AM
  • Hi rismoney,

"I circumvented the issue and tried running dism on a Win10 workstation (was running it before on a win2016 server) and it worked.  "
    So the udpate was added successfully, thanks for updating.

"My understanding, is that the patch after injection needs to initialize on first boot"
    Yes, the updates added into the install.wim is not installed immediately. It will take effect after we installed the install.wim and initialize the machine. This is an expected behavior.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 03, 2017 6:28 AM
  • the dism log was not very helpful.

That is my experience too generally.  I only mentioned the list of upgrade diagnostics that Greg Lindsay showed but would probably start with something general that gave you a timestamp for your external symptom and then use that as an index into the CBS.log (or one of its archived pieces.)  In fact, in your case since I'm not familiar with it at all, I would probably start by finding out what all had been happening in  %windir%\Logs.

C.f.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/13ada0a1-b02b-40c1-aaf0-61b93c81f36c/cummulative-updates-fail-under-windows-10-build-1067?forum=win10itprosetup 

(MDeero's summary of his methodology in the bottom post, again probably not exactly matched for your scenario.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 03, 2017 3:09 PM
  • If that is expected behavior, is there a way to trigger the integration short of re-running the msu or applying the cab via dism?

If I let wsus handle it, it takes way longer, and my belief is I should not have to download the contents as it should be included somewhere in the wim.

Do you have any specifics on how this actually works, from a process perspective?

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 7:10 PM
  • Hi rismoney,

We could check the CBS.log as Robert suggested for more information.

Best regards

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 7:20 AM