none
Recovery Point Limit for this DPM server has been exceeded RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a DPM 2010 implementation (3.0.7707.0) which has been running nicely for some time.  In the last couple weeks I've added a couple sources, increaced the number and retention of tape backups, and made other "normal" changes to protection groups.  Suddenly I'm unable to create a protection group, every time I try the final step shows the error:

"DPM failed to apply the required policies to this protection group since the recovery point limit for this DPM server has been exceeded. (ID: 31220)"

The only association I can find for this error seems to be with DPM 2007, nor can I find what the total limit would be, or why it is currently exceeded.  I've stoped protection on a large number of sources, including deleting several, and am unable to create a protection group with even one item with 5 days retention. 

My key questions would be:

1. Has anyone encountered this error on 2010, and what if any solutions have you attempted.
    2. What is the overall server limit? Do tape backups count towards this limit?
    3. Can I display what the count is currently and what datasources are using up the count (powershell?)?
    4. When does this reset; when a source is no longer protected or when a source is deleted?

Thanks for any assistance,

Mark

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi markm9876,

All limits are based on minimum hardware requirements.

If your protecting file you can have 60 recovery points on disk. Regarding SQL and Excahnge you can have up to 512 online snapshots. Please note that this is a limitation in the VSS used.

You can have 300 datasources, this will give 600 volumes in the DPM diskpool.

A DPM server can store up to 9,000 disk-based snapshots, including those retained when you stop protection of a data source. The snapshot limit applies to express full backups and file recovery points, but not to incremental synchronizations.

The error 31220 could appear if you try to store for example 61 snapshots wich isn't possible. You could try to use less Express-Full backups on your protected files.

Please post your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Robert,

Thanks for the info. 

It looks like I'm on my way well over the 9000, in the way management has directed this restructure of the backups.  I have around 260 datasources total, but with our RPO goals we're supposed to run right at the 64 recovery point limit for pretty much all of them.  That's in the ballpark of 16,000 total recovery points.  I intrigued that it let me configure things in this way, but as the days pass and recovery points are added, I imagine I've surpased 9000 by now. 

Oddly, if I run this script on my server, it states I have 3413 snapshots provisioned.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmstorage/thread/8469b64a-88ee-4b70-ba95-73c283818bfd

I already own another DPM 2010 license, and have an old server running it I've been using for testing, and a new server on my roadmap.  I was hoping not to have to use the older server for production backups; I was going to split the load AFTER I get a new server (and perhaps start the new one with 2012).  It's looking like I have no choice now though but to move some of my backups immediately, I've just repointed the critical servers, and the replicas are being allocated now.

Thanks again,

Mark

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:57 AM