none
SBS 2011 Standard and SQL Server Express RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently planning a server upgrade (from a SBS 2003 box to a SBS 2011 box).

On our SBS 2003 box we are running MSDE to host our CRM database, can we install SQL Server Express on the SBS 2011 or do we need to have an extra server with premium add-on. Considering the small size of the CRM database it does not seem cost effective to buy an additional server solely for hosting a small (just over 1gb) database.

Thanks for your help guys

Martyn

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Note that this is not a recommended configuration becuase of performance and security issues.

But if you make sure you have enough memory in your SBS 2011 server it will not be a problem to install SQL Server Express 2008 (R2) even 2005 will work.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:51 AM
  • My SBS2008 came with SQL Express installed and running already with an instance called "SBSMonitoring". I assume this has something to do with the internals of SBS. (I didn't do it!).  But I have used this 'default' SQL Express for another (small) appliation that needs SQL support (running in a named instance).

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Note that this is not a recommended configuration becuase of performance and security issues.

But if you make sure you have enough memory in your SBS 2011 server it will not be a problem to install SQL Server Express 2008 (R2) even 2005 will work.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:51 AM
  • My SBS2008 came with SQL Express installed and running already with an instance called "SBSMonitoring". I assume this has something to do with the internals of SBS. (I didn't do it!).  But I have used this 'default' SQL Express for another (small) appliation that needs SQL support (running in a named instance).

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:04 AM

NEVER use the default SQL instances from SBS always create a new separated instance for a application.

It is right SBS has by default SQL instances installed and configured for SBSMonitoring, WSUS and Sharepoint. These default instances have specific configuration settings when your Application needed any other configuration it could break the SBS configuration.

So to avoid any problems create a new instance for your applications it will save you a lot of trouble.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Yes, Ronnie, that's what I did.  I created a new named instance.  All I'm saying is that I didn't have to install SQL Express, I used the existing one and created a new instance.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Yes, Ronnie, that's what I did.  I created a new named instance.  All I'm saying is that I didn't have to install SQL Express, I used the existing one and created a new instance.

Allright I read it like you added a database to an existing instance.
    Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:08 PM