none
Assigning Fixed Salary Costs of employee to the MS project RRS feed

• Question

• I have been creating projects tasks using Microsoft Project 2010 but face difficulties how to put Fixed Salary costs for employee. The employees invloved have fixed salaries that is not related to the task they are asigned. They get salary at the end of the month wheather they acomplish the task or not.  Also due to the nature of the work, I don't want to asign resources to the tasks as it can be done by different resources at different time. But I want the project to calculate Salaries of employees  in prorated acrue method. Please assit me how to do that? Is it logical to creat a task like "Employee A activity during project phase" and asign the monthly salary cost on it? or is there a better way of putting employee monthly salary cost to the project?

Thank you in advance

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Firstly, since Project is scheduling tool it won't be able to meet all the different scenarios of accounting needs.

Secondly, as you mentioned that resources have fixed salary that is given to them at end of the month - even if they finish the task or not or even when they are not assigned to any task. When any resource is not assigned on a task, how can cost be incurred.

Thirdly, you mention even though resources may or may not be assigned and have fixed salary you want to calculate in prorated basis, which won't be possible unless there are assignments.

The only option is adding a fixed monthly cost at a task level or over all project level, its just a work around and not a perfect solution.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Thank you very much.. that helps me.

The point is that project is more of a scheduling tool  :(

I tried to add a task like "Salary of Mr. X" put the start and finish date like for 1 year and asign the salary costs but when I see it again it is not realy a task that is wht and where I am confused.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi Kurfa

As far as I am getting your question, you are not trying to track the 'Project Cost' in this scenario but wanted to calculate salaries of employees, which unfortunately MSP didnt do so.

It can only help in calculating the total cost occurred on the tasks in that project. And hence can calculate the 'Project Cost' but not the salaries.

And also you mentioned that you are not assigning resources to tasks, so it seems you are not tracking the project costs which should be ok for you.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Create a Budget Cost Resource and include all your cost there at project level. Having a task for salary doesn't make sense and would hinder your other calculations.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/budget-resource-field-HA010167483.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:58 AM
  • HI

I think you can 

try to add a recourse mr x and the cost will be calculate per hour

for EX

the salary of mr x is 30000 $ per month (you have to change the calendar depends on your project salary)

if we consider working month is 30 days and the day is 8 hours  mr x will work only for 3 months 

30 * 8    = 240 hour  per Month so 

30000/ 240 = 125 this is the hour cost for mr x 

now assign mr x to ur task during the mr x period

note : the type of Accrue at is END for the mr x  recourse   in the recourse  sheet 

hope I am right and this is useful for u

best regards  

• Edited by Muahammad Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:37 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:33 AM