none
use hours for task not days RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a 40 day (960 hour) deployment schedule. I want to start task at a specific hour for duration XX hours. How can I get the start to be tagged to the hour (example hour 58 a new task needs started) thanks

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

One way to set a start time from the beginning of the project without VBA is as follows (not elegant but it works)

1. Set a milestone at the start of the project (default)

2. make a dependency from this start milestone to your task, with a lag of 58 hours.

Hope this helps,

Greetings,

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:26 PM

All replies

• steve,

The dimension for the Duration (and other) fields is found under File/Options/Schedule group. By default it is set to days, but you can change it to hours. As far as starting a task at a particular time, you can type in the time directly. For example, 12/16/11 11:33.00 am. What is displayed in the time fields (e.g. Start, Finish, etc.) is controlled by the setting in File/Options/View tab/Date format.

However, if you want to enter a duration value of "hour 58" after the Project Start date, sorry, no can do, at least not directly. It could be done, but it will require either a complex formula in a custom field or some VBA, and then that value will have to appear in an extra field (e.g. Text1), not in the Start or Finish fields. Project's time fields only allow date and time data.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

One way to set a start time from the beginning of the project without VBA is as follows (not elegant but it works)

1. Set a milestone at the start of the project (default)

2. make a dependency from this start milestone to your task, with a lag of 58 hours.

Hope this helps,

Greetings,

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Thanks the lag worked, but will not be easy for the person I researched this for.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Thanks for the help,
    Monday, December 19, 2011 9:14 PM