Windows 7 Slow installing new USB Devices RRS feed

• Question

• I just rebuilt my windows 7 laptop several months ago but it looks like I didn't get a perfect build somehow.  Every time I install ANY new USB device it will take anywhere between 2-4 minutes for the driver installation process!  This is a pain considering a simple USB mouse or flash drive usually takes a few seconds.  It will sit there saying "searching preconfigured driver folders" for a LONG time.  Even the steps after that seem like they take a longer amount of time than usual. I've searched around but haven't found any leads.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jonathan

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the post!

Please enter into the Safe Mode with networking, then insert the new USB device to check the behavior. Does it work here? If it works, do a Clean Boot to find the cause.

If it doesn't work, try the following steps:

1. Disconnect all USB devices

2. Click Window Key, input Device Manager in the search box, then press Enter key.

3. In Device Manager, user the Arrow key to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", then uninstall the Host Controller.

4. Repeat the above step, uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Restart the computer to check the result.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:51 AM
  • I rebooted in safe mode and it still took over 3 minutes to install a usb mouse all the while saying "searching preconfigured driver folders."

I have searched the internet and found numerous people having the same problem.  Some people suspect bluetooth as the culprit but noone seems to have found (or at least documented) a solution.

Jonathan

Friday, April 22, 2011 12:37 AM
  • It is taking ages to search thru preconfigured driver folders to install small device drivers like optical mouse or usb storage devices . is there any solution ?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:59 AM