none
Empty Timesheets (2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I used to set the resources as their own Timesheet Manager and their own Assignment Owner.
    But today I tried to set another user as Timesheet Manager and another one as Assignment Owner for every resource.
    Now the Tasks page of every resource is empty: no tasks. That's normal I think because the Tasks page displays the tasks you are responsible for updating.
    But their Timesheets are also empty: no tasks, except the administrative tasks.
    So, how the resources will enter time?
    Thanks

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you are correct, this is what happens in 2010.

It is different to behaviour in 2007. When you define a different assignment owner in 2007, this tasks is displayed on My Tasks of assignment owner (as in 2010). But this tasks is also listed in Timesheet of the resource, no matter if this timesheet is created by the resource or by someone else using Surrogate Timesheet.

In 2007, this was the only solution to enter time if a resource is currently not available to do that on his own. This is different in 2010 because of the new feature "Delegate". If someone is off, another person can act on his behalf and enter actuals in Tasks and Timesheets. So no need to change the assignment owner by this reason.

Changing assignment owner in 2010, does now only make sense (from my point of view), if you need to track hours of someone not having an own account, like contractors or material. In both cases, I do not see any need to have timesheet data.

Please let me know your business case, why you want a resource set up with a different assignment owner. Most likely I am missing something?

Regards
    Barbara 

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:42 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

changing Timesheet Manager is something different, your issue is caused that you changed 2 settings at the same time.

Timesheet Manager is important for timesheet approval only. Timesheet Manager is the person, who has to approve a timesheet (not entering data). Normally you set the line manager as Timesheet Manager, to give this person a complete overview what his or her team is doing. So, if you set A as timesheet manager for B, A will need to approve timesheets and administrative time requests, if the require approval. If you set C a timesheet manager for C, C's timesheets and administrative time requests will be approved automatically.

If you set D as assignment owner of E, E's assignments will be displayed on D's Tasks page for entering actuals. Most valuable when haveing resources like contractors or material, not having an own account.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you are correct, this is what happens in 2010.

It is different to behaviour in 2007. When you define a different assignment owner in 2007, this tasks is displayed on My Tasks of assignment owner (as in 2010). But this tasks is also listed in Timesheet of the resource, no matter if this timesheet is created by the resource or by someone else using Surrogate Timesheet.

In 2007, this was the only solution to enter time if a resource is currently not available to do that on his own. This is different in 2010 because of the new feature "Delegate". If someone is off, another person can act on his behalf and enter actuals in Tasks and Timesheets. So no need to change the assignment owner by this reason.

Changing assignment owner in 2010, does now only make sense (from my point of view), if you need to track hours of someone not having an own account, like contractors or material. In both cases, I do not see any need to have timesheet data.

Please let me know your business case, why you want a resource set up with a different assignment owner. Most likely I am missing something?

Regards
    Barbara 

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Thanks Barbara,

So, what is the use of the feature which allows to change the Timesheet manager if the timesheet gets empty?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

changing Timesheet Manager is something different, your issue is caused that you changed 2 settings at the same time.

Timesheet Manager is important for timesheet approval only. Timesheet Manager is the person, who has to approve a timesheet (not entering data). Normally you set the line manager as Timesheet Manager, to give this person a complete overview what his or her team is doing. So, if you set A as timesheet manager for B, A will need to approve timesheets and administrative time requests, if the require approval. If you set C a timesheet manager for C, C's timesheets and administrative time requests will be approved automatically.

If you set D as assignment owner of E, E's assignments will be displayed on D's Tasks page for entering actuals. Most valuable when haveing resources like contractors or material, not having an own account.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Barbara,

Thanks a lot for these detailled explanations!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:44 AM