none
Tech Support Scam

Question

•    I received a telephone call from a person that claimed that they were with a company associated with Microsoft.  They said they were calling to respond to an issue with my computer that I had reported.  I occasionally send reports to Microsoft with the send report box that automatically pops up, usually after a program won't close properly. They wanted me to download and run "teamviewer" so they could access my computer.  I told them to call back tomorrow so I could verify if they were legitimate or not.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Thank you! 
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:04 PM

Answers

• MS support only uses live meeting for troubleshooting, never hear MS guys using team viewer.

In some situations (from client end) they might use WebEx.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:26 PM
  • I would also suggest you to get an e-mail from them before you share your system.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:27 PM
  • These phone calls "claiming" to be from Microsoft are in fact just another scam.. This scam has been effecting users here in Australia for some years now. Personally I have had no less than 8 phone calls from these people, claiming my computer is reporting errors. The attempt to get you to grant remote access to your computer. Just what they do after that cannot be safe!  Please be warned...Microsoft (to my knowledge), do NOT tell you your computer has a problem. It's a scam!
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Please review: Avoid tech support phone scams

Carey Frisch

Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:31 AM

All replies

• MS support only uses live meeting for troubleshooting, never hear MS guys using team viewer.

In some situations (from client end) they might use WebEx.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:26 PM
  • I would also suggest you to get an e-mail from them before you share your system.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:27 PM
  • These phone calls "claiming" to be from Microsoft are in fact just another scam.. This scam has been effecting users here in Australia for some years now. Personally I have had no less than 8 phone calls from these people, claiming my computer is reporting errors. The attempt to get you to grant remote access to your computer. Just what they do after that cannot be safe!  Please be warned...Microsoft (to my knowledge), do NOT tell you your computer has a problem. It's a scam!
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Please review: Avoid tech support phone scams

Carey Frisch

Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:31 AM