USB MASS Storage not available. External USB disk cannot be used RRS feed

• Question

• I USB external harddisk used to work okay with my Vista. from some day, it cannot be accessed on this vista.  ( There is no problem connecting to another computer, so problem should be wiht my Vista).

In the Device Manager, there is no "USB Mass Storage"... I searched internet and foudn this is a common problem. i followed some posts, but still cannot get through.

Could somebody help on this?

thanks

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Please enter Disk Management (Run diskmgmt.msc) to see if the USB disk has been recognized there.

Besides, please perform a clean boot to see if the root cause is some 3rd party application or service:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Let us know the result if possible. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Please enter Disk Management (Run diskmgmt.msc) to see if the USB disk has been recognized there.

Besides, please perform a clean boot to see if the root cause is some 3rd party application or service:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Let us know the result if possible. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Hello!

I also have the same problem.  I recently bought a new DELL Inspiron 1520 with windows vista Home Premium and when I attached my Maxtor Onetouch 2 drive it worked for a while.  Windows then starts to say that it is an unknown device, sometimes it can be recognized but the filesystem that appears on the device manager is RAW.  Just yesterday it worked propperly and a few minutes later afteer a restart it didn't work again.  I also have another computer with xp on it and nothing seems to be wrong with the drive.

The same thing also happened on my Targus 4-port UDB Hub, a lexar flash drive, and webstar cable modem...

Maybe something is wrong with vista's hardware detection routines or something..

Please advice.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:27 AM