Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I´ve got some problems with my DVD Drive on my Toshiba Tecra A8 Notebook.
    The DVD/RW Device is an Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S drive.

The Vista Installation is done from a Vista Upgrade CD from the Vista Upgrade Program which I received and is original from Toshiba. I have also received a CD full with drivers for my Notebook from Toshiba and installed them all.

I can read the CD´s from the command line, but if I try to open it out of the explorer he everytime ask me to format the CD. The only way to start a setup.exe or something like this is to do it from the command line. Also the autostart won´t work.

Any ideas?

regards,

Florian
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same problem on my deskop intel duo core 2 2.6 bwith full oem home vista premium installed bought from new two months ago. This problem has happened the past two weeks.

Vista tried to format whenever i try to open cd/dvd on my drive. Pls provide answers as I do not want to format my pc. Thank you. My dvd drives are lite on shm-165H6S and Plextor Px-716A.

Pls Help?

alan

Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:01 PM
  • I've excatly the same problem on a Lenovo 3000 J115 with Vista Bussiness 32 bits.

Any Ideas?

Oriol

Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:12 PM
  •  

i've the same problem on HP pavilion DV6000.

i didn;t upgrade to vista though, the machine came preinstalled with vista home premium.

The dvd-rw drived used to work pretty well, i could burn dvds and read dvd/cd discs back.

but i don't know what went wong in the past couple weeks, i can't read any dvd/cd disc back now, after inserting a disc, and clicking the DVD Drive icon in win explorer, it always eject the disc and prompt me to insert a new disc.

I checked the device manager no error is shown in there, and even reinstalled the cd driver, to no avail.

I know the drive hardware itself is fine, cuz i could boot from a Windows XP CD.

if i can't fix this stupid issue in the next couple days, will prob just downgrade to Windows XP, which doesnt have this sort of cr*p. vista really s..ks.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:57 AM
  • by chance do you have sp1 installed on your laptop or no?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:45 PM
  • HI,

I have got the same problem wity my Vista installed Compaq notebook.

The DVD RW device asks to Format the disc when I try to open the disks every time, unless I restart the system.

Got any ideas yet??? I saw lots of this sort of problems on the net, and no one gets an exact answer.

regards,

Frank

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:27 AM
  • I have this issue too and ExpertsExchange.com basically solves it by telling users to run lots of anti-virus software and malware, etc. I havn't solved it as of now but am optimistic about my tools.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Try to disable Vista's CD Burning:

1. Launch registry editor (Start Menu > Run > regedit.exe).
    2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives.
    3. Select the correct Volume subkey.
    4. Find and modify the IsImapiDataBurnSupported DWORD to 0.
    5. Close the registry editor.

Worked for me.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:22 PM
  • yes!

Danke!!

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:06 PM