none
Unable to Update Office 2016 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am the Network Support Technician for a county entity.  We have a few (5) computers still running Windows 7 because of proprietary software that will only run in 7.  All but one updates without a problem.  This one is an HP Compaq Pro 6305 MT with an HP 1850 MB, 3.8 ghz AMD A10-5800B APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 4GB memory, Windows 7 Professional (X64) w/ Service Pack 1, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB.  We installed Office 2016 Standard on in last year, and it runs fine.  It updated up until March 2017.  In march Microsoft put out updates for Office, as well as other updates.

It refused to update the Office files citing error code 80070663.  We ran Windows Update Repair, found corrupted database and registry entries, it says it fixed them, still no Update, same error code.  Reset Windows Update components manually through CMD line entries, same error.  Repaired Office through Programs and Features, same error.  Uninstalled and re-installed Office, same error.  tried to install updates through download and install, "Error in detection".  Ran DISM, CheckSUR.log says no errors found.  Ran Clean boot, We were able to install Security Updates for Windows 7, but same error for Office updates.

I have saved the CBS, CheckSUR, CheckSUR.Persist, DISM, ReportingEvents, and setupact files if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Joel

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

This error is related to Office.

However you have tried so much actions, nothing helps.

Please consider to uninstall Office and perform an In-Place Upgrade using the original installation media.

After that, reinstall the Office again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

This error is related to Office.

However you have tried so much actions, nothing helps.

Please consider to uninstall Office and perform an In-Place Upgrade using the original installation media.

After that, reinstall the Office again.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Uninstalling Office, running Update then reinstalling Office would seem to me to be counter productive.  I get all the security updates for Windows 7 and the like, its Office that will not update.  Uninstalling it and running update would not update Office. 
    Monday, April 10, 2017 11:34 AM
  • Hi Joel,

Did you mean after reinstalling the office and updating Windows, only the office would not get update?

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:42 AM
  • I thought about your post and then tried it.  I uninstalled Office, ran the Windows Update, then reinstalled Office and low and behold, it worked!  I guess there was some Windows update for the system that was blocking Office from updating.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 6:26 PM