none
Microsoft Display Dock as "USB Hub" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys

I've a Microsoft Display Dock but no need to use it with my Lumia 950 - BUT: I'm searching for an USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 Dock anyway. So hey, I could use my Microsoft Display Dock for that!

But when I plug it in, I get the message "Try improving the USB connection / DisplayPort connection might not work. Try using a different cable"

Some Facts in advance:

• Laptop is a Dell Precision 5510 with USB Type C / Thunderbolt 3
    • Windows 10 Enterprise is installed
    • I use the original cables
    • USB Ports of the Display Dock work fine
    • DisplayPort and HDMI do not work (as the error message says)

Any idea how to get it to work? Is it possible to "daisy chain" the dock?

Thanks a lot,

Manuel

University of Applied Sciences of Eastern Switzerland (Rapperswil) | Microsoft Innovation Center Rapperswil

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:52 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Display Dock will work fine if there is USB Type C. It works fine with Apple devices having USB Type C.

Kindly go through the possible causes and resolutions to troubleshooting messages in Windows 10 that users might get on USB Type-C systems running Windows:

Troubleshoot messages for a USB Type-C Windows system

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:27 PM
  • Hello

Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried all of the options including changing the cable, checking the BIOS settings concerning Thunderbolt 3 and reinstalling the Intel Thunderbolt 3 driver from Dell's official support site. I guess it has to be something with my notebook because Continuum works well on my Lumia 950.

Any further idea there? Some indicators in the Windows Event Log?

Thanks in advance

Manuel

University of Applied Sciences of Eastern Switzerland (Rapperswil) | Microsoft Innovation Center Rapperswil

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:52 PM
  • I see the same message when I connect my PC to the front USB-C port on the Display Dock. It seems to work though.

Did you try to use one of the three USB connectors on the back side of the Display Dock? That is what I will try when I find a proper cable.

In fact, I plan to use the Display Dock as intended by MS - I will connect my Lumia 950 XL to the front USB-C port - but I might as well use the back side USB connectors for USB hub functionality. If it works.

/Brian

/Brian

Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:20 PM
  • He Brian

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply. Just did not get any notification from your post. The USB Connectors are working perfectly using a USB Type C to Type C cable and also when I use a USB Type A to USB Type C cable between my laptop and the Display Dock.

It's just the DisplayPort Protocol that does not seem to work. Last week, I tried another USB Type C to DisplayPort adapter which worked well. So I guess it has something to do with the Display Dock driver.

Any further idea?

Thanks a lot

Manuel

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:00 PM
  • No idea at all out there?

Monday, March 21, 2016 7:31 PM
  • I only can confirm your investigation. So far the Display Dock is connected to its own power supply the USB-Hub and HDMI works fine but not the DisplayPort.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Hi Ulrich

Cool, first person that has the same issue like me. Sorry to update this so late... Right now it looks like this:

After some calls with Dell BIOS devs they really fixed my issue in BIOS Version A10 (see below) - BUT there are some limitations with the Microsoft DisplayDock which is not Dell's issue. I was able to manage to connect a display on both, HDMI and DisplayPort, but not simultaneously. If you look at the price of the Dock you could imagine that its running with limited capabilities - and one of these limitations is to have only one display cable connected.

Hope that will help. Any other personal observations are welcome ;-) Maybe there's a way connection two display cables which I don't know..

Best wishes
    Manuel

-----------

Precision 5510 A10 01.02.10 BIOS
    1.Fixed Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) device will lost after S3 resume
    2.Fixed LCD flickering when in lowest brightness
    3.Fixed After McAfee encrypted, the PCIE NVMe SSD \ SATA SSD can't boot to OS issue
    4.Fixed Wake on WLAN takes a long time with Intel 1830/1820A Wireless card
    5.Fixed USB audio/mouse may be lag while connected to Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) and Dell Dock (WD15)
    6.Support for Windows 10 Enterprise features
    7.Fixed incorrect Thunderbolt security level reading from Driver
    8.Fixed Touchpad may be lost after Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) device connected
    9. Add passthrough MAC address shows on BIOS Setup feature.
    10.Fixed System will become shut-down with connected to Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) after S4 Resume.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Folks, I have the same setup with my Dell XPS 13 (previous version not the 2-1 version).

I have an MS display dock and want to connect my laptop to my screen which has a Display Port connection.

All connected ok and USB devices are seen and usable via the display dock but the connection via the display port to the E2417H Dell monitor is not being detected by the monitor or the PC?

I only need one external display along with the original one on the laptop.

Alternatively this might be simpler (though it does state it's for a Mac I am sure the standards of USB 31. type C are universal as well as Display port

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-to-DisplayPort-DP-4K-Digital-Converter-Adapter-Cable-For-Macbook-/361907369842?hash=item54435c3772:g:00YAAOSwax5Yp6lF

Can someone help?

Sunday, March 12, 2017 2:37 AM
  • USB-C is more complicated than you would think as really its just a connector type.  The abilities/protocols are from the usb3/3.1/3.2/etc standards and that depends on the device your connecting it to.  From the Microsoft support site you get a hint to the info regarding alternate modes:

USB Type-C introduces a new feature called alternate modes. These alternate modes allow other types of non-USB connections to be used with the USB-C cable and connection. Here are the display alternate modes:

• DisplayPort                                       

This alternate mode lets you project video and play audio on an external display that supports DisplayPort.

Basically it depends on what level of usb support the device you are plugging the dock into has.  You can read up on usb-c/usb3,3.1,3.2 if you really want but basically if your device can support the displayport functionality witht he hardware you have onboard it will otherwise you are probably hardware limited on that device.  You should always be able to use the other usb ports like a regular hub.

hope that helps

• Edited by dvSctt Monday, June 19, 2017 1:13 AM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 1:11 AM
  • I'm using a HooToo USB-C hub on a windows 10 laptop that does not have a display port, but I get the error message anyway.  Is there anyway to turn that off?  The hub works great except that it is registered in device manager as a 2.0 billboard, thinking it should be 3.0 ports.
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:28 PM