Console not present with fresh install....W2K8 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone else run into this problem where the Application Virtualization Management Console does not install with the Server? How do I find the bits to install this again? The documentation says that it should be installed by default.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:24 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Well, it _doesn't_ for you. I just started the server installation using the RTM-software on a windows 7 RC1 OS. Console doesn't show.
    Started the same installation using the same files on a windows xp sp2. Console shows.

Switches for the installation is documented here;

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2009/09/16/supported-command-line-options-for-the-app-v-management-server-installer.aspx

Again, you could have verified this behaviour yourself - had you followed my suggestion above. Since there will be a new MDOP release supporting Windows 7, I would assume that the new server OS is supported with that one aswell - however if this behaviour repeats itself I would suggest opening a MS-support case (which you can of course do right away with the risk that their response will be to await a supported version....).

Jeepers.....
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 19, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It can be installed by running the installation again and selecting the feature...

/Znack
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:36 AM
  • The feature is not present in the selections. Maybe the current MDOP ISO does not properly have all the items.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:30 AM
  • I'd rather think that some of the requirement (IIS, Dot.Net...) are not present on that server.
    Frankly I didn't try to  install it on an R2 machine yet. There is also a certain chance that R2 is not considered as an supported operating system for the MMC...

Falko
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:30 PM
  • The option is not on the installer or on any installer on the ISO.

All the items are installed on the server that were listed in the requirements.

Is there a place to download the 4.5version separate from the MDOP ISO?

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hello,

officially Windows 7 support will be included in SP1 release, coming later this month. Perhaps the windows 2k8 R2 will be supported with this aswell?

(misread the title and thought this was a win2k3)

/Znack
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:31 PM
  • I have the 4.6 beta release too but it does not have an updated Server installer for the Management Server so I am assuming that does not change.

Either way the MDOP ISO should have all the components to install. It's kind of disappointing it does not. The instructions explicitly say that the admin console should show up as an item to install but it does not show. That is unless there is another Server installer that is not present on the ISO as mentioned earlier.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hello,

The MDOP I used (first RTM and then CU1) contained the server... so I would say its either that Windows 2008 R2 (or that 64-bit support is lacking for the management console) is not supported at the moment or that you have a bad ISO (not from MS)

One thing to check that could rule one of these out is to try it on a supported platform.

/Znack
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:45 PM
  • The install option should show regardless of OS and this is an official MS ISO from Connect.

Can someone post the contents of an install CD, the exact executable/installer name to use, and maybe some tag (if available) to only install the console?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Hello,

Well, it _doesn't_ for you. I just started the server installation using the RTM-software on a windows 7 RC1 OS. Console doesn't show.
    Started the same installation using the same files on a windows xp sp2. Console shows.

Switches for the installation is documented here;

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2009/09/16/supported-command-line-options-for-the-app-v-management-server-installer.aspx

Again, you could have verified this behaviour yourself - had you followed my suggestion above. Since there will be a new MDOP release supporting Windows 7, I would assume that the new server OS is supported with that one aswell - however if this behaviour repeats itself I would suggest opening a MS-support case (which you can of course do right away with the risk that their response will be to await a supported version....).

Jeepers.....
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 19, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:23 PM
  • If I remember correctly, Management Server's installer hides Console feature if MMC 3.0 and/or .NET runtime 2.0 is not installed on the machine. Now, it's perfectly plausible that there's also some OS check in it as well or it explicitly checks that MMC's version matches to 3.0 (I don't know what is the MMC version for R2, maybe it's actually newer).

br,
    Kalle
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Hello,

it doesn't check for MMC 3.0 (well, it does - and gives you a warning, but its still available..)

/Znack
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:56 PM