PowerShell Not Found (.LNK Issue) RRS feed

• General discussion

• PowerShell Not Found (.LNK Issue)
    PowerShell shorcut via WIN+X fails if user's profile has PowerShell removed from their Start Menu:
      > "%appdata%\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\windows powershell\windows powershell.lnk"

Please correct junction to Windows Powershell via Executable:

%windir%\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe

//Fix
    regedit::hklm\software\microsoft\powershell\3
      > [REG_EXPAND_SZ]ConsoleHostShortcutTarget = %systemroot%\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe
      > [REG_EXPAND_SZ]ConsoleHostShortcutTargetX86 = %systemroot%\syswow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

//Note
    Windows Feedback Tool Submitted;

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure what the questions is here. I follow that the Windows 10 for PowerShell points to the start menu shortcut (rather then program).

How are you removing the shortcut from the start meu? and you are doing that but still wanting PowerShell?

Saturday, September 26, 2015 12:21 PM
  • By Default, all users have their Start items stored in "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"; When you WIN+X or Right-Click Start, the micro Administration Context Menu opens and you can open items from the Control Panel quickly.

There is an option in the Taskbar properties, under Navigation, where you can swap Command Prompt with PowerShell. However, if you removed the PowerShell folder from the user Start Directory, the Context Menu command for PowerShell will failed due to ConsoleHostShortcutTarget and ConsoleHostShortcutTargetX86 being pointed to the User Start Shortcut rather than the PowerShell executable.

This break will happen if users opt to configure their Start Menu to have more of the "Apple" feel, having only programs only displayed and no folders or when Business / Enterprise environments strip Start down to the programs core applications and leave PowerShell intact for power users.

Monday, September 28, 2015 7:13 PM
  • PowerShell Not Found (.LNK Issue)
    PowerShell shorcut via WIN+X fails if user's profile has PowerShell removed from their Start Menu:
      > "%appdata%\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\windows powershell\windows powershell.lnk"

Please correct junction to Windows Powershell via Executable:

%windir%\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe

//Fix
    regedit::hklm\software\microsoft\powershell\3
      > [REG_EXPAND_SZ]ConsoleHostShortcutTarget = %systemroot%\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe
      > [REG_EXPAND_SZ]ConsoleHostShortcutTargetX86 = %systemroot%\syswow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

//Note
    Windows Feedback Tool Submitted;

I have this same behavior on Build 10565 (and all of the sudden!) but I have the link files. The first one linked here is bad. It is a white icon with invalid properties and will not allow me to edit. The (x86) one is fine. So if I replace Command Prompt with PowerShell I cannot use it. But if I pin PowerShell to my taskbar I can run it, and I can right-click and run as Administrator. As far as I can tell, only the link file itself is bad. I've tried SFC /ScanNow and DISM.EXE /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to no avail. How do you recreate this link file to a valid version?
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:40 PM
  • You can recreate it manually I guess. So delete the broken one, right click in the folder new shortcut, enter for the target

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

For the name

Windows PowerShell

bring up the properties of the created shortcut, change 'start in' to

%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Add the comment as

Performs object-based (command-line) functions

Does that fix it?

Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:25 PM
  • i made a new shortcut without the %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% or the other comment just made a shortcut
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:23 PM