Resource booking related issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have couple of meeting rooms that users book trough Outlook and I have enabled Resource Booking Attendant which works just fine but a booking is made, nobody can see (from resource's calendar view) the meeting title or the user who has booked the recourse or room.

I would like my users to see this information but if I grant Full access rights to Authenticated Users meaning all users, Booking Attendant does not work as it should work. Then everybody has the right to make booking straitgh to the resources calendar. I still want the bookings to go trough the Booking Attendant.

Is there some way to give the users right to see meeting title and user who booked the resource and still maintain booking trough Booking Attendant?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, August 4, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A calendar has by default the permission level Free/Busy time set for Default (Default=All Authenticated Users)
    With Outlook 2007/2010 there is also a possibility to set the permission level "Free/Busy time,subject,and location".

If you have kept the default settings for calendarprocessing:
    DeleteSubject: True
    AddOrganizerToSubject: True
    ...then your users would be able to see who has made the reservation, just by looking at the subject line.

In Exchange 2010, you can set this permission in EMS
    set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Roomresourse:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails

AvailabilityOnly=Free/Busy Time  (Default Setting)
    LimitedDetails=Free/Busy time,subject,and location

Here you have some more information on how to use the cmdlet get-mailboxfolderpermission
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/ilvancri/archive/2009/11/24/exchange-2010-and-then-there-is-the-long-awaited-cmdlet-add-mailboxfolderpermission.aspx

Martina Miskovic
    • Marked as answer by Junkelo Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:14 AM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Hi Junkelo,
    I should have added the parameter -User in my post but I didn´t, sorry!
    I usually use the mailbox alias.
    It´s important to notice that if the calendar is named something else (different Language) that name has to be specified insead of Calendar

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Roomalias:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

Martina Miskovic
    • Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:29 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi Junkelo,

I think this command can help on you:

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Room@domain.com:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

If you don't not want all the users have this permission, you can use this command to grant user permission on calendar of Room@domain.com

Add-mailboxfolderpermission –identity Room@domain.com:\Calendar -User username -AccessRights LimitedDetails

Thanks,

Evan

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

and thanks for all you'r answers. I have been on my summer leave so this has taken some time.

I did like Martina instructed and used following syntax:

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Room@domain.local:\Kalenteri -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

where Kalenteri is Calendar in my own language.

This sort of did the trick but after this when user checks room calendar and double clicks some reservation shown in rooms calendar, Outlook gives user an option to ask for rights from room mailbox to review the dialog box for any reservation. If user tryes to do this, Outlook says that user dont have rights to ask for viewing permission from room mailbox.

So I modifyed the AccessRights to Reviewer (ReadItems, FolderVisible) for couple of rooms and now when user double clicks some reservation, Outlook gives only error message with "Ok" button only.

I think that in my case Reviewer permission is more suitable after it dont give users any false promises about a chance to get rights to open the dialog box for any rooms reservations. If user views rooms calendar per day or takes mouse on top of reservation without clicking it, user can see the subject and who made the reservation. And of course time and location.

I also modifyed rooms properties (Exhange Management Console/Recipient Configuration/Mailbox Properties/Resource Information) so that Booking Agent do not delete the subject of room bookings and it add's organizer's name to the subject.

If anybody have any idea about Reviewer AccessRights effect to room calendar please tell me. Could this permission have some future effect that would not be preferred or something else that I would need to know about?

Thanks all for help!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:14 AM

All replies

• Anybody? Any idea?
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Also I may add that if I grant user Full Access Permission for a resource mailbox, user can see who made the booking but not the subject or additional info. This information should also be visible to all users.

This is from Technet article about Managing Full Access Permissions (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676551.aspx?v=14.1.285.0&t=exchgf1)

""When you grant the Full Access permission to another user for a mailbox, that user will be able to log on to the mailbox and access its entire contents""

This dont seem to be quite so with resource mailboxes..

Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

A calendar has by default the permission level Free/Busy time set for Default (Default=All Authenticated Users)
    With Outlook 2007/2010 there is also a possibility to set the permission level "Free/Busy time,subject,and location".

If you have kept the default settings for calendarprocessing:
    DeleteSubject: True
    AddOrganizerToSubject: True
    ...then your users would be able to see who has made the reservation, just by looking at the subject line.

In Exchange 2010, you can set this permission in EMS
    set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Roomresourse:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails

AvailabilityOnly=Free/Busy Time  (Default Setting)
    LimitedDetails=Free/Busy time,subject,and location

Here you have some more information on how to use the cmdlet get-mailboxfolderpermission
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/ilvancri/archive/2009/11/24/exchange-2010-and-then-there-is-the-long-awaited-cmdlet-add-mailboxfolderpermission.aspx

Martina Miskovic
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

And thank you for your reply!

I found earlier technet article about the same thing (Set-MailboxFolderPermission) but I have not been able to find the right syntax that shell would take in. For identity I have tryed room.name@domain.local and also room.name@maildomain.com but I allways get the same error. Identity could not be found. So the question now is that is it possible to set resource folder permissions with Set-MailboxFolderPermission or do I just have the wrong syntax?

I used following syntax:

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity room.name@domain.local:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity room.name@maildomain.com:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails

User account for roomresource is disabled by default so I guess that is the reason why identity can not be found.

Here is a link for another discussion about this matter but this has not solved my problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/b2cdc18b-662a-4330-aed5-5e29d7de7193

My problem is to find the right syntax for identity part for room resource mailbox.

• Edited by Junkelo Monday, August 8, 2011 9:41 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Hi Junkelo,
    I should have added the parameter -User in my post but I didn´t, sorry!
    I usually use the mailbox alias.
    It´s important to notice that if the calendar is named something else (different Language) that name has to be specified insead of Calendar

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Roomalias:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

Martina Miskovic
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:13 AM
  • What version of Exchange is being used ?
    Monday, August 8, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Hi Junkelo,

I think this command can help on you:

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Room@domain.com:\Calendar -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

If you don't not want all the users have this permission, you can use this command to grant user permission on calendar of Room@domain.com

Add-mailboxfolderpermission –identity Room@domain.com:\Calendar -User username -AccessRights LimitedDetails

Thanks,

Evan

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

and thanks for all you'r answers. I have been on my summer leave so this has taken some time.

I did like Martina instructed and used following syntax:

set-mailboxfolderpermission -identity Room@domain.local:\Kalenteri -AccessRights LimitedDetails -User Default

where Kalenteri is Calendar in my own language.

This sort of did the trick but after this when user checks room calendar and double clicks some reservation shown in rooms calendar, Outlook gives user an option to ask for rights from room mailbox to review the dialog box for any reservation. If user tryes to do this, Outlook says that user dont have rights to ask for viewing permission from room mailbox.

So I modifyed the AccessRights to Reviewer (ReadItems, FolderVisible) for couple of rooms and now when user double clicks some reservation, Outlook gives only error message with "Ok" button only.

I think that in my case Reviewer permission is more suitable after it dont give users any false promises about a chance to get rights to open the dialog box for any rooms reservations. If user views rooms calendar per day or takes mouse on top of reservation without clicking it, user can see the subject and who made the reservation. And of course time and location.

I also modifyed rooms properties (Exhange Management Console/Recipient Configuration/Mailbox Properties/Resource Information) so that Booking Agent do not delete the subject of room bookings and it add's organizer's name to the subject.

If anybody have any idea about Reviewer AccessRights effect to room calendar please tell me. Could this permission have some future effect that would not be preferred or something else that I would need to know about?

Thanks all for help!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:14 AM
  •  If anybody have any idea about Reviewer AccessRights effect to room calendar please tell me. Could this permission have some future effect that would not be preferred or something else that I would need to know about?

Thanks all for help!

Personally, I never give Reveiwer AccessRights on Room Mailboxes Calendars unless the requirement is for everybody to see the information stored in the appointment.
    It could be sensitive information there not for everybody to see, but I do not say that is wrong.
    Martina Miskovic
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Actually I dont see any difference about info shown between LimitedDetails and Reviewer. I have tested this with couple of rooms. With both rights I can see the same information and with neither right I can not open the dialog box for any reservation which would show detailed info about some reservation. Only difference that I have observerd is the behavior when one doubleclicks any reservation in any room calendar.

Besides in our case, everybody can see every reservation and it's info.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:51 AM